Brent mother behind Willesden playgroup wins prestigious parenting award
- Credit: Archant
A mother who runs a popular children and parent group based in a Willesden pub has been recognised for her efforts at a prestigious volunteering awards ceremony.
Sharmine Chowdhury-Tse, who runs National Childbirth Trust (NCT) Bumps & Babies and Busy Rascals at Queensbury Pub, in Walm Lane, was named Parent Supporter of the Year for London at the regional NCT Stars Awards.
The pregnant mother-of-one, who volunteers at the NCT, started the group more than three years ago to help new parents deal with post natal depression, drawing from her difficult experience of being a new mother in a foreign environment.
Commenting on receiving the award, Ms Chowdhury-Tse said: “It is an absolute honour to be recognised for all the volunteering I do for the community. It comes as a great surprise but I am very proud.”
She now joins the shortlist for the national NCT Stars Awards along with winners from the other UK regions which will be presented at a special event at the House of Commons on September 9.
You may also want to watch:
Philip Rosser, head of volunteering at NCT, said: “The support and enthusiasm that NCT’s volunteers give to the charity is invaluable and makes a huge difference to our work.
“The NCT Stars Awards are a wonderful opportunity for us to say thank you and well done to these often unsung heroes, supporting parents in so many ways through their first 1,000 days.”
- 1 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 2 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 3 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 4 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 5 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 6 QPR boss Mark Warburton unfazed by prospect of losing Ilias Chair
- 7 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 8 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 9 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 10 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours