Brent Mayor drops in at surprise party for dedicated Willesden grandmother
Family and friends rally round for Louise Garwood’s 70th birthday
A Willesden grandmother who dedicated her life to looking after more than 40 children was given a surprise party to celebrate a landmark birthday.
Louise Garwood had friends and family rally round her to commemorate her selfless life with a special party at the Unity Centre in Church Road, Harlesden.
Aside from raising seven children and seven grandchildren, Louise also opened her home up to youngsters as a foster mother, taking in nearly 30 children between 1983 and the late 1990s.
“I love to see the smile on children’s faces” she explained.
You may also want to watch:
“Even if you don’t have anything yourself, if you can make a child happy, you feel a million dollars”.
Her eldest daughter Thelma, who helped organise the party, explained why they felt her mother should be honoured.
- 1 Man admits murdering waiter in Kilburn 38 years ago
- 2 Pensioner slams Brent Council over 'hell' housing
- 3 Behind Closed Doors: The high number of Brent evictions
- 4 Two men arrested in connection with Jeffrey Wegby killing
- 5 Qusai Alomar, 12, dies after collision involving motorcyclist near Wembley
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Brent from climate emergency
- 7 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 8 QPR boss 'disappointed' as two late goals cost his side at West Brom
- 9 £20,000 reward to find killer of man gunned down in South Kilburn
- 10 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
She said: “She has never been recognised for any of what she has done. She is so humble and has dedicated her life to looking after others – so to do something for her alone was really lovely.”
Mayor of Brent, Councillor, Aslam Choudrhy, attended to wish her a happy birthday and Louise expressed her joy at the surprise visitor.
She said: “It was a lovely surprise. The Mayor told me he was here to say happy birthday to me. I couldn’t believe it.
“It’s lovely know that you are appreciated and to have your family around you.”