Brent Mayor drops in at surprise party for dedicated Willesden grandmother
Family and friends rally round for Louise Garwood’s 70th birthday
A Willesden grandmother who dedicated her life to looking after more than 40 children was given a surprise party to celebrate a landmark birthday.
Louise Garwood had friends and family rally round her to commemorate her selfless life with a special party at the Unity Centre in Church Road, Harlesden.
Aside from raising seven children and seven grandchildren, Louise also opened her home up to youngsters as a foster mother, taking in nearly 30 children between 1983 and the late 1990s.
“I love to see the smile on children’s faces” she explained.
You may also want to watch:
“Even if you don’t have anything yourself, if you can make a child happy, you feel a million dollars”.
Her eldest daughter Thelma, who helped organise the party, explained why they felt her mother should be honoured.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 4 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 5 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 6 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 7 Dykes hurt as QPR topple Hatters to end season on winning note
- 8 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 9 QPR boss Warburton not worried about Dykes' injury
- 10 Willesden murder investigation: 'Horrified onlookers' watched on as man stabbed in High Road
She said: “She has never been recognised for any of what she has done. She is so humble and has dedicated her life to looking after others – so to do something for her alone was really lovely.”
Mayor of Brent, Councillor, Aslam Choudrhy, attended to wish her a happy birthday and Louise expressed her joy at the surprise visitor.
She said: “It was a lovely surprise. The Mayor told me he was here to say happy birthday to me. I couldn’t believe it.
“It’s lovely know that you are appreciated and to have your family around you.”