Opinion: Labour Party would fund 10,000 extra police officers
- Credit: Archant
The police are struggling to cope with years of cuts and underfunding from this Conservative government and we have seen rising levels of violent crime since.
Police cuts have consequences and the fight against crime is being hampered, with over 21,000 police officers taken off our streets since 2010.
We in the Labour Party, including London Mayor Sadiq Khan, have consistently called on the government to ensure the police have the funding they need to keep people safe.
Sadiq Khan invested an extra £110m to keep police numbers as high as possible. Our message is: you cannot keep people safe on the cheap.
The next Labour government will invest in 10,000 additional police officers in England and Wales and prioritise neighbourhood policing.
You may also want to watch:
Here in Brent, I have written to police commissioner Cressida Dick to convey my deep concern regarding crime and policing. Provisions in place are not adequate and I have pushed for a comprehensive review of policing operations.
I have set up a new dedicated page on my website for policing. You will find regular updates on my work, including pressing TfL for urgent action on antisocial behaviour around Dollis Hill and Willesden Green tube stations. I will continue to advocate for a safer Brent and call for increased resources so police can keep our communities safe.
If you experience or witness any incident call 101, or in an emergency call 999.
- 1 Brent investigating implications of traffic measures court ruling
- 2 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 3 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 4 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 5 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
- 6 Brent residents face £100 council tax hike for Band D property
- 7 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 8 Wembley grandmother who survived Covid thanks live-in carer
- 9 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 10 Third stabbing in Neasden as murder investigation under way