Brent councillor raises cash for library campaign by running in Bratislava marathon
- Credit: Archant
Cllr Paul Lorber took part in race in Slovakia in support of Friends of Barham Library
A councillor who took on his maiden marathon in aid of his local library campaign in Wembley has returned to British soil after raising more than £1,000.
Cllr Paul Lorber jetted to Slovakia to take part in Bratislava marathon to raise money for Friends of Barham Library (FOBL).
Despite never having attempted the gruelling 26-mile challenge before Cllr Lorber came home in around 4 hours and 30 minutes, below the target of 5hrs.
“It was a great atmosphere and it all went to plan. I was entering uncertain territory – I started to feel the burn with around 10km to go but I wasn’t going to give in then” – he said.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Lorber, who was born in Slovakia, was joined on his challenge by marathon regular and former councillor Peter Corcoran.
“All credit needs to go to Peter who is a very keen advocate for sport generally and is always encouraging people to take up any form of sporting activity” – he added.
- 1 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
- 2 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 3 Footage released of Neasden shooting to help catch 'dangerous offender'
- 4 Call for teams for football tournament in memory of Josh Hanson
- 5 Kensal Rise Triathlon team raises £130,800 for local charities
- 6 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 7 QPR boss Warburton 'frustrated' with defeat away to Bournemouth
- 8 Neasden neighbours' petition against parking and fines plan
- 9 'Erratic, violent' man given indefinite hospital order for killing 'friendly' neighbour in Wembley
- 10 Stabbed 7-year-old girl meets police officers who saved her life
“He promised to get me through my 1st marathon, was always encouraging and he kept his word.”
The total funds raised were around £1,100 which will now go towards FOBL’s efforts to set-up a permanent library facility in Barham Park.
The reading room, in Barham Park, was one of six shut down by Brent Council in October 2011.
Campaigners have now been campaigning for two years for their library to be re-opened and currently run a volunteer Library and bookshop from shop premises at 428 Wembley High Road.
More than £23,000 has been raised in total since the start of the campaign.
Cllr Lorber added: “I’d like to thank everyone who donated or sent their wishes and to our supporters who continue to come to our volunteer library.”
To make a donation go to www.virginmoneygiving/paullorber or visit the volunteer in Wembley High Road or Daniels Estate Agents a few doors away.