Brent councillor in hospital after suffering a major heart attack
- Credit: Archant
Politicians in Brent have rallied in support of a councillor who is in hospital after suffering a major heart attack.
Cllr Barry Cheese, Liberal Democrat councillor for Brondesbury Park, is being treated at the Royal Brompton Hospital in south Kensington.
His party confirmed to the Times he underwent a triple valve heart surgery and is currently is currently being sedated to recover from the major procedure.
Party and ward colleague Cllr Mark Cummins, who has been friends with Cllr Cheese for more than 20 years, visited him at the hospital which is the largest specialist heart and lung centre in the UK.
Saying he is improving, he added: “It was a great shock for me and extremely saddening. I wish him a very speedy recovery.”
You may also want to watch:
In recent years, Cllr Cheese has been commended for campaigning to save the six libraries which were closed by the Labour-run council in 2011.
Cllr Paul Lorber, leader of the Brent Lib Dems, said: “Barry Cheese is a fantastic local campaigner well known in the community and everybody within the Liberal Democrats and I am sure in the community wishes him a speedy recovery.”
- 1 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 4 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 7 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 8 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 9 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 10 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
Councillors have ditched their political squabbles to offer cross party support to Cllr Cheese and his family.
Cllr Muhammed Butt, leader of Brent Council, said: “I have always admired Barry’s humour and good nature. I wish him and his family well at this difficult time, and hope he recovers soon.”
Cllr Suresh Kansagra, leader of the Brent Conservatives, added “I’ve recently been aware that Cllr Cheese has been taken to hospital and I would like to extend my support to himself and his family.
“We wish him a speedy recovery and hope he’ll make a full recovery.”