Brent councillor becomes a refuse collector for the day
- Credit: Archant
A Brent councillor turned dustman made an early start on the bin round in Cricklewood.
Cllr Roxanne Mashari, who represents Welsh Harp ward and is lead member for environment and neighbourhoods, said: “‘Going out on a refuse collection round was a real eye-opening experience.
“I really got to see the challenges faced by our teams first hand.
“What was striking was how much people throw away that could be recycled.
“The teams estimated that at least a further 60 per cent of household waste could be recycled which would save hundreds of thousands of pounds for Brent tax payers each year in landfill tax that the council currently pays.
You may also want to watch:
“The round was challenging, physical work but I am proud to say that I managed to keep up with the team and was offered a job at the end of it.”
Cllr Mashari was joined by Sue Harper, director of environment and neighbourhoods, who spoke to residents about their experiences of the service on Friday morning.
- 1 Men jailed after Leon Maxwell gunned down in Queensbury
- 2 Free vaccine walk-in at Central Middlesex Hospital
- 3 The Wembley flats with camper vans on the roof and furniture wearing boots
- 4 Teenager convicted of murdering Jamalie Deacon Matthew in Northwick Park
- 5 Met officer found guilty of assault after grabbing victim when off duty
- 6 Appeal for information after man shot in Stonebridge
- 7 Fire-ravaged Neasden church hall set to be rebuilt
- 8 Kensal Rise group 'biggest team' taking on Blenheim Palace Triathlon 2021
- 9 Sisters killed in Kingsbury stabbed with 'extreme force'
- 10 Mass vaccination event taking place at Bridge Park Community Centre