Brent Council to close day care centre for adults with learning disabilities in Kingsbury
- Credit: Archant
A day care centre for vulnerable adults including many with learning disabilities in Kingsbury is to be axed by Brent Council as part of its £54million cost-cutting exercise.
Yesterday, at a cabinet meeting, it was decided Kingsbury Resource Centre in Stag Lane, will close for good.
The centre’s users will be offered any available places at community and voluntary centres once they are reassessed by the council.
New Millennium Day Centre in Robson Avenue, Willesden, has avoided the axe but it will be handed over to a social enterprise (a not-for-profit organisation that helps people in communities) that will take of its day-to-day running.
A final decision on the centre’s new management will be decided in the autumn.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Krupesh Hirani, Brent Council’s lead member for adults, health and wellbeing, said: “We are absolutely committed to supporting the most vulnerable and helping them to live independently and this can be done by helping people to access services in their own communities rather than just at a council-provided day centre.
“The setting up of a social enterprise for people at the New Millennium Day Centre would enable them to access the services they want either there or in the community.”
- 1 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 2 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 3 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 4 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 7 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 8 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 9 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 10 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
Will you or someone you know be affected by theses changes?
If so call the news team on 020 74330133 or email Nathalie.email@example.com.