Brent Council’s interim chief executive takes on second paid role at Haringey
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
Christine Gilbert has been named as ‘schools champion’ for neighbouring borough
Brent Council’s intern chief executive will be takingon a second paid role as the new ‘schools champion’ for Haringey.
Christine Gilbert will be stepping into the new non-executive role in September, charged with “challenging, guide and drive” Haringey’s schools and the council to ensure it can reach the target set by the borough’s independent education commission.
The commission - which was set up after the Department for Education removed four “failing” primary schools from local authority control and into the hands of private academy chains - came up with 12 recommendations to ensure all Haringey’s schools are rated ‘good’ or better by education watchdog Ofsted by February 2016.
Ms Gilbert took over the post in Brent last September following a falling out between long standing chief executive Gareth Daniel and the leader of the council Cllr Muhammed Butt.
You may also want to watch:
She is believed to be earning £200-000-a-year which is being paid through a private company called Christine Gilbert Associates Ltd.
Ms Gilbert, who is the wife of former Labour MP for Harrow East Tony McNulty who became embroiled in the expenses scandal, turned around Tower Hamlet’s failing education system in less than a decade while in charge of Ofsted from 2006 until 2011.
- 1 Two arrests after man shot and teenager stabbed in Queen's Park
- 2 Human remains found in Neasden believed to be missing Agnes Akom
- 3 Jailed: Dollis Hill man who had submachine gun, over £200k cash and drugs
- 4 'Piercing scream' heard night two sisters killed in Kingsbury park
- 5 Boyfriend of murder victim 'fell to knees' at discovering body in Kingsbury
- 6 Photographer seeks people he took pictures of in the early 1990s
- 7 Data shows Delta is fast-becoming Brent's dominant Covid-strain
- 8 Euro 2020: Dykes loses opener as Niko Hamalainen seals win with Finland
- 9 Man to appear at Old Bailey charged with murder of missing Agnes Akom
- 10 Teenager killed sisters in 'sacrifice' deal with the devil, court hears
Haringey Council said Ms Gilbert will be paid but have refused to disclose how much.
Cllr Butt told the Times Ms Gilbert will not be leaving her post with the council.