Brent Council rolls out new rules for basement developments in the borough
- Credit: Archant
Council chiefs have introduced new guidelines for residents wishing to carry out basement development in the borough.
A report released by Brent Council today has added a series of conditions which must be met before any work is carried out.
Following a public consultation into the controversial developments the new rules state homeowners must complete a flood risk assessment, confirm a party wall agreement has been entered, provide a list of affected neighbouring properties and if the site was previously contaminated a plan detailing the investigative and remediation work which will be carried out is supplied.
Homeowners who fail to comply face legal action.
A total 13 residents took part in the consultation alongside 12 resident associations, four industry representatives and Labour councillor for Queen’s Park James Denselow.
You may also want to watch:
A large amount of basement applications made in the borough are in Cllr Denselow’s ward.
Residents have complained in the past about basement work causing damage on their homes, such as structural and flooding, as well as cracks, construction traffic and noise.
- 1 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 2 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 3 New QPR signing Moses Odubajo's story so far
- 4 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 5 Traffic disruption in Brent from August 2-8
- 6 Head of school attended by Tom Dean, Zadie Smith and Rachel Yankey set to retire
- 7 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 8 Petition launched to declare Brent a Right To Food borough
- 9 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 10 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
The guidance aims to tackle their concerns.
Cllr Denselow told the Times: “I am happy that the council has listened to the concerns of residents and issued guidance that gives the Council more powers to deal with basement developments.
“There are real fears as to damage to peoples homes caused by basement construction and I think this is a big step in the right direction to addressing them”.
Cllr George Crane, Brent Council’s lead member for regeneration and major projects, said: “It’s all well and good if residents want to create some extra space for a kitchen or gym but we have to think about the people living beside that home and how that work may impact on neighbouring properties.
“It is only fair that residents living alongside a basement construction know how long the works will go on for, when they can expect increased construction traffic and how developers intend to mitigate problems.
“This new guidance does that.”