Brent Council leader shared Facebook post calling Israel ‘a terrorist state like ISIS’
- Credit: Archant
The leader of Brent Council is the latest Labour politician to become embroiled in a row over Israel after he shared a Facebook post that called the country a terrorist state.
Cllr Muhammed Butt shared a clip on his page which claimed “Israel is a terrorist state like ISIS.”
The 49-year-old, who is the councillor for the Tokyngton ward, is also the lead member for equalities at London Council, a cross-party organisation that presents all 32 boroughs and the City of London.
The post, which was shared on April 16, has since been removed after the Labour Party was alerted to it by online website Jewish News.
When the Times contacted Cllr Butt he apologised for sharing the post adding that he had not noticed the comment comparing Israel to ISIS.
He said: “I am sorry for sharing the post. The video had 17,000 comments and if I had seen it I would never had shared the post in fact I would have reported it to Facebook.
“I am the leader of the most diverse borough in the country, if not Europe, and there is no way I would create any divisions.
“This is a lesson to make sure that people you have on your Facebook page are your actual friends.”
- 1 QPR boss Beale disappointed to bow out of Carabao Cup
- 2 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 3 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 4 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 5 Councils get cash to tackle chewing gum on high streets
- 6 Hospital trust increasingly reliant on international medical staff
- 7 Unarmed boy stabbed to death in his home by group ‘out for blood’, court told
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 QPR bow out of EFL Cup after penalty shoot-out at Charlton
- 10 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
Yesterday the Labour Party suspended Cricklewood-resident Ken Livingston for “bringing the party into disrepute” after he claimed Hitler had supported Zionism “before he went mad and ended up killing six million Jews”.
The former London Mayor and ex-Brent East MP, made the remark while defending Bradford West MP Naz Shah from allegations of anti-Semitism.
Ms Shah was also suspended yesterday pending an investigation into controversial social media posts about Israel which she made before becoming an MP.