Brent Council leader shared Facebook post calling Israel ‘a terrorist state like ISIS’
- Credit: Archant
The leader of Brent Council is the latest Labour politician to become embroiled in a row over Israel after he shared a Facebook post that called the country a terrorist state.
Cllr Muhammed Butt shared a clip on his page which claimed “Israel is a terrorist state like ISIS.”
The 49-year-old, who is the councillor for the Tokyngton ward, is also the lead member for equalities at London Council, a cross-party organisation that presents all 32 boroughs and the City of London.
The post, which was shared on April 16, has since been removed after the Labour Party was alerted to it by online website Jewish News.
When the Times contacted Cllr Butt he apologised for sharing the post adding that he had not noticed the comment comparing Israel to ISIS.
He said: “I am sorry for sharing the post. The video had 17,000 comments and if I had seen it I would never had shared the post in fact I would have reported it to Facebook.
You may also want to watch:
“I am the leader of the most diverse borough in the country, if not Europe, and there is no way I would create any divisions.
“This is a lesson to make sure that people you have on your Facebook page are your actual friends.”
- 1 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 2 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 3 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 4 Brent Council reignites campaign to tackle paan spitting
- 5 QPR boss Mark Warburton unfazed by prospect of losing Ilias Chair
- 6 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 7 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 8 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 9 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
Yesterday the Labour Party suspended Cricklewood-resident Ken Livingston for “bringing the party into disrepute” after he claimed Hitler had supported Zionism “before he went mad and ended up killing six million Jews”.
The former London Mayor and ex-Brent East MP, made the remark while defending Bradford West MP Naz Shah from allegations of anti-Semitism.
Ms Shah was also suspended yesterday pending an investigation into controversial social media posts about Israel which she made before becoming an MP.