Brent Council claim Neasden resident of 57 years does not live in the borough
- Credit: Archant
A pensioner has been refused a resident’s parking permit by Brent Council, despite living in the same house in Neasden for 57 years.
When Michael Dineen, of Severn Way, was helped by a friend to renew his annual £160-a-year permit on the council’s new and controversial online system last week, he could not believe the response. “It said I was not a resident of Brent and it could only give me a one-month permit,” said Mr Dineen.
The 67-year-old said he visited Brent Civic Centre in Engineer’s Way, Wembley, four times to seek help before the permit for his 22-year-old Mercedes expired on Sunday. Mr Dineen said: “They reckon they have no record of me having permits. A manager took my tenancy agreement at Brent Civic Centre on Friday and said he would phone but I haven’t heard from him.
‘‘I am stressed out. If I get a ticket, who’s paying for that? It’s unbelievable. I’ve never known anything like this.
“I haven’t slept all weekend, my car could be lifted this morning and taken to the pound. They [Brent Council] will give me a heart attack by playing around with me.”
You may also want to watch:
On Monday, Mr Dineen made a fifth visit to Brent Civic Centre and was told he would receive a call later in the day.
No call came but on Monday evening Brent Council had a parking permit delivered to Mr Dineen’s home.
- 1 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 2 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 3 New QPR signing Moses Odubajo's story so far
- 4 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 5 Head of school attended by Tom Dean, Zadie Smith and Rachel Yankey set to retire
- 6 Traffic disruption in Brent from August 2-8
- 7 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 8 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 9 Petition launched to declare Brent a Right To Food borough
- 10 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
On Tuesday, Mr Dineen thanked the Brent and Kilburn Times for intervening. He said: “I’m relieved. I’m going for a beer today.
“The Times put the frighteners on them. It’s a shambles. They will have to open a shop where people can go and buy permits with cash or bank card, not online.”
Mr Dineen said the council offered no apology to him.
A spokesman for Brent Council said: “This matter has been resolved with Mr Dineen.”