Brent Council accused of failing to help couple left homeless by Neasden fire
- Credit: Archant
The daughter of an elderly couple left homeless after a fire ripped through their house in Neasden has accused Brent Council of failing to help them.
Vincent Lee, 86, a former RAF soldier, and his 76-year-old wife, lost all their possessions in the blaze at their home in Review Road, on November 1.
It is believed a candle which was lit by Mrs Lee, a devout Roman Catholic, to commemorate All Saints Day, an important religious date, caused the inferno. Luckily the couple escaped but were treated for smoke inhalation,
However their home was uninsured, resulting in financial ruin for them. They were too traumatised to talk about their ordeal but their daughter, Isabelle Lee, who flew over from Northern Ireland to help in the recovery process, is angry at the lack of help given by the council.
The 47-year-old said it was a battle to secure temporary accommodation for her parents, and she had to visit the council offices in person after numerous unsuccessful phone calls before any action was taken. She said: “I am frustrated because these are vulnerable people in a situation where they need help.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Alison Hopkins, Liberal Democrat councillor for Dollis Hill, is calling for the community to come together and help the Lee family to rebuild their lives.
She said: “It is important for us to be responsible for the vulnerable and the elderly, especially those who have served our country.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 3 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 4 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 5 QPR were soft in heavy Fulham defeat says boss Warburton
- 6 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 7 Wembley pensioner, 71, off to university with EuroMillions win
- 8 Estranged husband who set wife on fire in Stonebridge jailed
- 9 Noise abatement notice served against 'silent disco'
- 10 Join the Craic in Cricklewood as four-day music festival returns to London
“I am sure there are people who can help and we want Brent Council to continue their support.”
A council spokesman said: “We have placed this couple into temporary accommodation while we review what options they have.
“We will also offer them advice about what they should do next.”