Brent cop to ride 540km in dementia charity mission
- Credit: Archant
A Brent police officer will take part in a gruelling 540km bike ride from Vietnam to Cambodia in a bid to raise thousands of pounds for a good cause.
DC Brett Skowron, who is based in the CID at Wembley police station, faces a painstaking cross-country journey from Ho Chi Minh City to the iconic Angkor Wat temple in sweltering heats of up to 33 degrees Celsius on a mix of tarmac and dirt roads.
The officer, who has been a detective for nearly five years working in the fraud unit and community safety units, aims to raise £3400 for the Alzheimer’s Society.
DC Skowron’s great aunt suffered from dementia before she died and has a great uncle that currently suffers from the disease.
He said: “I have decided to take part in this challenge for Alzheimer’s Society because although the illness is now getting the recognition and attention it deserves.
“With it likely to affect so many of us, whether a family member, a friend or yourself becoming a sufferer, I feel it is not as heavily supported as other charities.
“It’s great to think that I will be raising funds to help support people to live well with dementia today and fund research to find a cure for tomorrow.”
- 1 Brent triple shooting leaves victims in hospital
- 2 Three found guilty of murder for involvement in fatal gunfight
- 3 Pensioner dies and bus passengers injured in Wembley collision
- 4 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 5 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 8 QPR boss Beale bemoans missed chances in Blackpool defeat
- 9 QPR left stumped by old boy Bowler in Blackpool loss
- 10 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
To sponsor DC Skowron and for more information visit: www.justgiving.com/Brett-Skowron/
People can also text ‘BRSK83 £3’ to 70070 to donate £3.
Alternatively if you wish to sponsor in person or donate any gifts for raffle, Brett can be contacted at email@example.com.