Brent band scoops a platinum music award
Youth band hope to raise �10,000 after coming tops in first ever concert music festival
A YOUTH orchestra is dreaming of the big stage after winning a platinum award at its first ever regional performance.
Brent Concert Band, which is made up of 11 to 19-year-olds who live or study in the borough, received the accolade at the Regional Concert Band Festival in Northampton last week.
The band, which was set-up by Brent Music Service (BMS) and practises once a week at Claremont High School, in Kenton, played four pieces to the judges who commended them for their performance.
Carol Tomalin, communications officer for BMS, said: “Most of those kids have started on recorders and now they are attending their first ever adjudicated concert and they passed with flying colours.”
You may also want to watch:
Following its success, the band was invited to the National Concert Band Festival in Glasgow next April but an estimated �10,000 travel and accommodation bill stands in its way.
Ms Tomalin said: “It’s a scary amount of money to raise but Paul (the conductor) is so dedicated that I’m sure they will find a way to get it.
- 1 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 2 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 3 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 4 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 5 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
- 6 Habitual car thief jailed for six months after stealing 11 vehicles
- 7 Election 2021: All the candidates for mayor of London
- 8 QPR will look to wrap up the season strongly at home to Luton Town
- 9 Willesden murder investigation: 'Horrified onlookers' watched on as man stabbed in High Road
- 10 Kilburn councillor resigns from Labour group to become Independent
“If people can donate money that’s fantastic but they are planning to fund raise, it’s such a prestigious landmark for the band so they don’t want to miss out.
“It’s would be the first time Brent will ever have been represented in am environment like this.”