Brent band scoops a platinum music award
Youth band hope to raise �10,000 after coming tops in first ever concert music festival
A YOUTH orchestra is dreaming of the big stage after winning a platinum award at its first ever regional performance.
Brent Concert Band, which is made up of 11 to 19-year-olds who live or study in the borough, received the accolade at the Regional Concert Band Festival in Northampton last week.
The band, which was set-up by Brent Music Service (BMS) and practises once a week at Claremont High School, in Kenton, played four pieces to the judges who commended them for their performance.
Carol Tomalin, communications officer for BMS, said: “Most of those kids have started on recorders and now they are attending their first ever adjudicated concert and they passed with flying colours.”
Following its success, the band was invited to the National Concert Band Festival in Glasgow next April but an estimated �10,000 travel and accommodation bill stands in its way.
Ms Tomalin said: “It’s a scary amount of money to raise but Paul (the conductor) is so dedicated that I’m sure they will find a way to get it.
- 1 Guilty: Man killed father who defended son from knife attack in Willesden
- 2 New Brent baby bank to support 40 families per week
- 3 Primary school pupils approached by 'man in a van' in attempted abduction
- 4 Motorcyclist, 34, dies at Staples Corner Flyover
- 5 'Security alert' at Willesden Junction causing severe delays on TfL network
- 6 Jailed: Brent gangsters who shot a man in his stomach at close range
- 7 Wembley fitness instructor stopped man taking his own life
- 8 Man stabbed in Harlesden High Street
- 9 Almost 800 homes to be built next to Wembley Stadium
- 10 Three men charged with attempted murder following Wembley shooting
“If people can donate money that’s fantastic but they are planning to fund raise, it’s such a prestigious landmark for the band so they don’t want to miss out.
“It’s would be the first time Brent will ever have been represented in am environment like this.”