Brent Assembly member vows to continue fight to save hospital casualty unit
- Credit: Archant
Navin Shah criticises plans to axe Central Middlesex Hospital’s A&E department
A senior politician has criticised plans to close the casualty unit at Central Middlesex Hospital and vowed to help residents fight against the plans.
Navin Shah, London Assembly member for Brent and Harrow labelled the decision a “travesty” following the announcement last week.
Mr Shah AM, said: “This decision is a travesty. Northwick Park is already over-stretched, as are the other A&Es which are remaining open and the closures of neighbouring A&Es will increase the pressure on these services.”
“With A&E admissions consistently rising by about 3 per cent a year it is ridiculous to start closing major hospitals in places with dense populations such as Brent.”
You may also want to watch:
Thousands of protestors handed in a petition against the plans and may seek a judicial review into the closure.
Mr Shah added: “We will continue to fight to save our hospital and will pursue every available option, including referring this to the Independent Reconfiguration Panel and Judicial Review.”
- 1 Men jailed after Leon Maxwell gunned down in Queensbury
- 2 Free vaccine walk-in at Central Middlesex Hospital
- 3 Teenager convicted of murdering Jamalie Deacon Matthew in Northwick Park
- 4 Sisters killed in Kingsbury stabbed with 'extreme force'
- 5 The Wembley flats with camper vans on the roof and furniture wearing boots
- 6 Appeal for information after man shot in Stonebridge
- 7 Fire-ravaged Neasden church hall set to be rebuilt
- 8 Kensal Rise group 'biggest team' taking on Blenheim Palace Triathlon 2021
- 9 Two arrests after man shot and teenager stabbed in Queen's Park
- 10 Mass vaccination event taking place at Bridge Park Community Centre
Charing Cross, Hammersmith, Ealing and Central Middlesex are due to become downgraded to urgent care centres. Serious emergencies will be referred to Northwick Park, Hillingdon, West Middlesex and Chelsea and Westminster.