Boyfriend of ex-Hampstead worker who fell to her death ‘regularly beat her up’

Georgina Drinkwater died in February 2014 (pic credit: Facebook)

Georgina Drinkwater died in February 2014 (pic credit: Facebook) - Credit: Archant

The boyfriend of a mother who plunged to her death from a third floor balcony in Queen’s Park regularly beat her after binging on booze, an inquest heard today.

Georgina Drinkwater fell from Orpheus House (Pic: Google)

Georgina Drinkwater fell from Orpheus House (Pic: Google) - Credit: Archant

Georgina Drinkwater, 30, who used to work in Carp hone Warehouse in Hampstead, was five months pregnant with her third child when she plummeted 33ft.

Ms Drinkwater had texted friend Claire Wilson telling her that partner Robert Weldon was ‘on his drunk aggressive thing’ just three minutes before she fell to her death in February 2014.

One of her friends, psychiatric nurse Lee Byers told Westminster Coroner’s Court that Mr Weldon had a drinking problem and was abusive to Ms Drinkwater.

He said: “When he was under the influence he would become violent.

“She had shown me bruises on her arms.”

In a statement read to the inquest another friend, Lorraine Walsh, said: “I saw bruises on her legs, but she told me that she had walked into the table.

Most Read

“She later confided in me he grabbed her and kicked and punched her.”

Ms Wilson told the hearing the couple had a ‘volatile’ relationship.

She said: “He had slapped her before, and he’d grabbed her, I saw the bruises.”

Emma Harris, a toxicology expert, said in a statement read to the court that Ms Drinkwater had cocaine and alcohol in her system.

She said: “It is likely she was experiencing some effect of cocaine at the time of her death.”

Ms Drinkwater’s mother, Pauline Tio, she voiced her fears about her daughter’s welfare to police 12 months before her death.

Ms Tio turned to Mr Weldon after giving evidence, and said: “Nothing will change the fact that you did what you did to her.”

Mr Weldon, 26, was arrested but there was insufficient evidence to charge him with any offence.

The inquest continues.