Bolton Wanderers 1 Queens Park Rangers 1: Idrissa Sylla rescues point for QPR at Trotters

Queens Park Rangers forward Idrissa Sylla has been called up to the Guinea squad for their World Cup

Queens Park Rangers forward Idrissa Sylla has been called up to the Guinea squad for their World Cup qualifiers next month (pic: Scott Heavey/PA) - Credit: PA Archive/PA Images

Sky Bet Championship: Bolton Wanderers 1 (Pratley 22) Queens Park Rangers 1 (Sylla 78)

Idrissa Sylla scored for the second successive game as QPR came back to snatch a deserved 1-1 draw at rock-bottom Bolton.

The Guinean forward struck with 12 minutes remaining of a scrappy game at the Macron Stadium, adding to his strike at Sunderland last weekend.

Darren Pratley had given Bolton a first-half lead, heading home from close range and piling the pressure on Ian Holloway’s side, who have not won a league game away from Loftus Road since February.

The West Londoners will feel they deserved a share of the spoils, however, having spent virtually the entire of the second half camped in Bolton territory. Syllla supplied the relief with his third of the season, cleverly diverting a Luke Freeman cross inside Ben Alnwick’s left-hand post.

QPR had a couple of chances to nudge ahead early on, Alnwick making a good save from Josh Scowen and David Wheater denying Sylla with a desperate challenge in the six-yard box.

Bolton, buoyed by their first league win of the season against Sheffield Wednesday last weekend, went close to the opener when Adam Armstrong combined with Josh Vela to crash a shot narrowly over the top from the edge of the penalty area.

Most Read

Ex-Hoops midfielder Karl Henry also had a shot which looped up on to the roof of the net as Bolton got the better grip of difficult conditions.

They took the lead on 22 minutes when Gary Madine headed down Vela’s corner and captain Pratley stooped to nod home his first Bolton goal since January 2016.

QPR saw plenty of the ball for the remainder of the half but struggled to break down a Bolton defence which had kept just one clean sheet in the Championship this season.

Darren Mackie sent one header towards goal just before the hour but Bolton keeper Alnwick did well to hold the ball without drama in torrential rain.

Vela could have made it two for the home side, latching on to a clever pass from the faultless Wheater but could not beat Alex Smithies at his near post.

Set pieces were becoming a lottery for both sides in the high winds and Bolton were indebted to Alnwick for a smart save following a QPR corner which ricocheted off Sylla close in.

Another Luke Freeman corner caused panic in the Bolton box with 15 minutes to go, the ball eventually falling for Scowen, who blasted a shot just over the bar.

Their defences were finally punctured when Pawel Wzsolek floated a cross from the right and Sylla got in front of his marker to divert the ball past Alnwick.

Bolton found a bit of renewed fight late on and sub Filipe Morais had an injury time effort deflected wide but ended up frustrated, with a point of little use to them at the foot of the table.