Body found in hunt for missing Cricklewood backpacker Gareth Huntley
- Credit: PA
Police searching for missing Cricklewood backpacker Gareth Huntley in the Malaysian jungle have found a body, the Foreign Office said.
The 34-year-old has not been seen since he started a trek to a waterfall in Tioman Island, off the south-eastern coast of the country’s mainland, last Tuesday morning.
The body, which has not been confirmed as the missing Briton, was found today in a pond a few yards from a kayak storage unit near the Juara Turtle Project where Mr Huntley had been working, according to local reports.
A Foreign Office spokesman said: “Malaysian police have confirmed that a body has been found on Tioman island in Malaysia.
“Foreign Office consular staff on the ground are continuing to work closely with the Malaysian authorities and are investigating with them as a matter of urgency.
“We continue to provide support to the family of Gareth Huntley at this very difficult time.”
- 1 'London’s smallest bus lane' earns Harrow Council £440,000
- 2 Residents lose appeal to save Brent leisure centre
- 3 Teenager grabbed and pulled towards car in broad daylight
- 4 Brent LTN removal set to be financed from 'existing council budgets'
- 5 Kensal Rise backstreets 'clogged with unused buses' group says
- 6 Covid patient numbers in Brent hospitals remains steady
- 7 Brent Mosque vaccinates 10,000th person
- 8 Roadworks and rail disruptions in north London over the next week
- 9 Women attacked on way home from night out in Wembley
- 10 Shocking reality of Brent housing crisis shown in new data