Blow for parents as government rejects bid for West Hampstead free school
- Credit: Archant
A group of parents hoping to open a free school in West Hampstead next year have seen its bid rejected by the Department of Education.
An application to open the West Hampstead International School (WHIS) - which had received the backing of 2,000 parents - was submitted to the government back in May.
Providing education to children aged four to 18 from Camden, Westminster and Brent, the group intended the school to specialise in languages and music and was hoping to open in September next year.
But this week the group said its bid to open in 2015 had been rejected.
The WHIS team said: “We are immensely disappointed and very sorry to have let down our many supporters.
You may also want to watch:
“We are awaiting feedback before we decide how to proceed.”
- 1 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 2 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 3 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 4 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 5 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 6 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 7 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 8 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 9 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 10 Kilburn residents forced to flee homes after flash floods