Binman praised for stopping runaway van in Kilburn
- Credit: Archant
Quick-thinking by Jose Dias prevented a catastrophe in West End Lane
A binman has been praised after his quick-thinking actions prevented a runway van from causing a catastrophe in Kilburn.
Jose Dias was driving a dustbin lorry in West End Lane when he noticed the van rolling backwards downhill towards him with the driver chasing after it last week.
The worker for Veolia Environmental Services turned his lorry to the right blocking the road and stopping the van from running away any further.
He said: “When I saw the van rolling down the hill at quite a speed my first thought was to make sure my team were safe and that no one would get hurt. I knew I had to do something quickly to block the road so I swung the vehicle around to ensure it couldn’t go any further.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s just part of the job protecting the public and something I am proud to do!”
Pascal Hauret, Veolia’s regional director London, said: “Due to Jose’s quick manoeuvre an accident was prevented from a busy junction where a lot of pedestrians cross the road.
- 1 Human remains found in Neasden believed to be missing Agnes Akom
- 2 Men jailed after Leon Maxwell gunned down in Queensbury
- 3 Two arrests after man shot and teenager stabbed in Queen's Park
- 4 Appeal for information after man shot in Stonebridge
- 5 'Piercing scream' heard night two sisters killed in Kingsbury park
- 6 Search continues for Agnes Akom after human remains found in Neasden
- 7 Jailed: Dollis Hill man who had submachine gun, over £200k cash and drugs
- 8 Man to appear at Old Bailey charged with murder of missing Agnes Akom
- 9 Mass vaccination event taking place at Bridge Park Community Centre
- 10 Police search Neasden park as part of Agnes Akom murder investigation
“We train our staff to keep the public safe and Jose is a shining example of this!”