Beat around the Bush
By Steve Hoad HOW did it come to this? I was drawn into QPR Vital by the siren calls of Sandy DL promising me a cookery page. I commented on some posts, added a thread or two, wrote a couple of blogs, and here I am, a guest writer in the Times, or as my w
By Steve Hoad
HOW did it come to this? I was drawn into QPR Vital by the siren calls of Sandy DL promising me a cookery page. I commented on some posts, added a thread or two, wrote a couple of blogs, and here I am, a guest writer in the Times, or as my wife is telling people, "approached by a leading football pundit to write for a newspaper".
Me! What do I know about football? I was surprised that referees had names! I thought they were... (on second thoughts there may be minors reading), but that IS what the crowd call them.
Who'd want to do that job? I'd rather be a dentist or a chiropodist, and I'd hate being either! I suppose you do get a whistle, and not one out of a Christmas cracker, mind. Which is a bit of luck really, what if they got a false black moustache, or a plastic top instead?
You may also want to watch:
You wouldn't toss for heads or tails, you'd spin for a number. And just think what they'd make of the mottos - fail to laugh and you're on a yellow! As they tend towards policing games, rather than simply refereeing, I wonder if they should have a siren as they run up to a confrontation or foul, execute an elaborate skid as they screech to a halt at the scene of the crime and reach for their notebook.
Sorry, where was I? Oh yes, I wrote a couple of blogs for QPR Vital, which seemed to go down OK, hence me being here.
- 1 Pensioner slams Brent Council over 'hell' housing
- 2 Man admits murdering waiter in Kilburn 38 years ago
- 3 Behind Closed Doors: The high number of Brent evictions
- 4 Two men arrested in connection with Jeffrey Wegby killing
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Brent from climate emergency
- 6 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 7 Qusai Alomar, 12, dies after collision involving motorcyclist near Wembley
- 8 Premier League dream will continue to push clubs into crisis says QPR boss
- 9 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
- 10 Boy, 12, in life-threatening condition after Wembley crash
Have you tried it? Adam Boxer does a sterling job adding articles and keeping the discussion going, and there are a host of other characters posting articles and adding comments. A lot of it is very informed, but there's also a great deal of fun and banter.
It's largely football-based and QPR-orientated, as you'd expect. Lately there's been a lot about Crashgate, which has been educational in terms of F1, legal process and corporate ownership, but in a light, easily digestible manner.
And we've also been treated to the lyrics of a Vera Lynn song. No one quite knows how that thread developed - it took three days or so before Vera took the stage!
Good as Vital is, of, course, it's no substitute for a trip to Loftus Road on matchday, but it keeps us primed and involved.
Anyway, that's a bit about me and how I came to be writing this - and I'll be back in a few weeks with something a bit more consequential, hopefully.
In the meantime, have a go on Vital. I'm sure you'll like it! And who knows where it might lead.