Barnsley 1 Queens Park Rangers 1: Late Luke Freeman goal earns QPR a point at Tykes

Luke Freeman created chances for Queens Park Rangers in their 2-1 loss to Fulham (pic: Adam Davy/PA)

Luke Freeman created chances for Queens Park Rangers in their 2-1 loss to Fulham (pic: Adam Davy/PA) - Credit: PA Wire/PA Images

Sky Bet Championship: Barnsley 1 (Barnes 20) Queens Park Rangers 1 (Freeman 87)

A late Luke Freeman strike salvaged a point for Queens Park Rangers as they drew at Barnsley in the Championship.

After training to a Tykes goal midway through the first half, Freeman found the net from distance in the closing moments to ensure the Rs returned to west London with something to show for their efforts.

QPR made three changes for the clash, including giving a first start to Bright Osayi-Samuel following his recent arrival from Blackpool, with the 19-year-old replacing Conor Washington.

The fit-again Steven Caulker replaced Darnell Furlong for his first appearance since August 26, while Massimo Luongo also overcame injury to take the place of Yeni Ngbakoto.

Josh Scowen started in midfield against his former club, having spent two-and-a-half years with Barnsley before leaving in the summer.

In the 12th minute, winger Pawel Wszolek found enough room down the right to cross for the Rs, but the Poland international was unable to find captain-for-the-night Luongo in the box.

Most Read

Wszolek was involved again for the west Londoners three minutes later, this time heading a Jake Bidwell cross from the left straight at Tykes stopper Adam Davies.

The Loftus Road club fell behind in the 20th minute when winger Harvey Barnes found the top corner from 25 yards for the Yorkshire outfit.

Two minutes later, QPR had a chance to level from a Scowen corner, but Freeman’s header was cleared away.

At the other end in the 31st minute, Alex Baptiste prevented the Rs from falling further behind when blocking an effort from George Moncur.

The west Londoners had another let-off five minutes later when Barnsley defender Adam Jackson headed a free kick just off target.

It proved to be the last real chance of the half as QPR trailed by the solitary goal at the break at Oakwell.

Five minutes into the second half, the west Londoners almost drew level, but Bidwell could only fire a volley just over the bar after a Freeman free-kick had initially been cleared.

Two minutes later, Caulker saw a header from a corner cleared away, before Jamie Mackie narrowly hooked the ball over the bar soon after for the Rs.

Less than 60 seconds after that, the west Londoners had keeper Alex Smithies to thank for keeping them in the match, denying Ike Ugbo after a quick break from the Tykes.

Ugbo went close again in the 62nd minute, but the on-loan Chelsea man was beaten to a cross by QPR defender Alex Baptiste.

Three minutes later, Scowen almost marked his return to Oakwell with a goal, but could only nod over form a corner.

The game continued at a frantic pace, with Smithies producing a fine save to keep out a dipping 25-yard volley from Adam Hammill in the 67th minute.

Wszolek had a great chance to draw the Rs level two minutes later, but sliced wide after being found in the box.

Substitute Kazenga LuaLua did not waste much time in trying to make an impact, firing just wide soon after coming on in the 77th minute.

The on-loan Brighton & Hove Albion man was involved again seven minutes later as he picked out fellow replacement Matt Smith in the box, but the forward’s effort was kept out by the feet of Davies.

QPR did finally draw level three minutes from time when Freeman found the net with a long-range effort of his own.

Neither side could find a winner in the minutes that remained, with the Rs looking to return to winning ways when they host Fulham on Friday.

Barnsley (4-3-3): Davies; McCarthy, Jackson, Lindsay, Fryers; Moncur (McGeehan 71), Williams, Potts (Hedges 80); Hammill, Ugbo, Barnes (Bradshaw 46).

Subs: Townsend (GK), Pearson, MacDonald, Thiam.

QPR (4-3-3): Smithies; Baptiste, Caulker (Smith 74), Robinson, Bidwell; Luongo, Scowen, Freeman; Wszolek, Mackie (LuaLua 76), Osayi-Samuel (Washington 46).

Subs: Lumley, Lynch, Manning, Wheeler.

Referee: Geoff Eltringham.

Attendance: 10,920.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter