Barnardo’s helps Kilburn adopter celebrate her first Mother’s Day
- Credit: Archant
A single woman who adopted a four-year-old boy through a children’s charity will be given a special bouquet to celebrate her first Mothering Sunday today.
New mum Frederique will receive the flowers from Barnardo’s to toast their success in finding new families for children in their care.
Frederique, who decided to adopt after the chance to have her own biological child never came, said: “My maternal grandmother was orphaned aged 11 and brought up by cousins who became her guardians.
“Her life story made me realise early on how some children find themselves alone in the world.
“Being a mum is amazing. My son has a smile that melts my heart every time I see it and it’s so rewarding hearing him say new words every day and coming up with his own imaginary tales.
You may also want to watch:
“Adopting is an amazing journey and to all those prospective adopters I’d say follow your instincts, it served me well.”
Javed Khan, chief executive at Barnardo’s, said: “Barnardo’s is proud of our long standing success of finding new families for children who cannot, for whatever reason, remain with their biological parents.”
- 1 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 4 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 7 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 8 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 9 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
The bouquet will be delivered to Frederique’s home by Prestige Flowers a company that donates 25 per cent of the total order cost of its gifts to Barnardo’s.
For more information about Barnardo’s visit barnardos.org.uk.