Barnardo’s helps Kilburn adopter celebrate her first Mother’s Day
- Credit: Archant
A single woman who adopted a four-year-old boy through a children’s charity will be given a special bouquet to celebrate her first Mothering Sunday today.
New mum Frederique will receive the flowers from Barnardo’s to toast their success in finding new families for children in their care.
Frederique, who decided to adopt after the chance to have her own biological child never came, said: “My maternal grandmother was orphaned aged 11 and brought up by cousins who became her guardians.
“Her life story made me realise early on how some children find themselves alone in the world.
“Being a mum is amazing. My son has a smile that melts my heart every time I see it and it’s so rewarding hearing him say new words every day and coming up with his own imaginary tales.
“Adopting is an amazing journey and to all those prospective adopters I’d say follow your instincts, it served me well.”
Javed Khan, chief executive at Barnardo’s, said: “Barnardo’s is proud of our long standing success of finding new families for children who cannot, for whatever reason, remain with their biological parents.”
- 1 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 2 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 3 Dramatic Dieng equaliser sums up 'crazy game' for QPR boss Beale
- 4 Goalkeeper Dieng nets late equaliser to save QPR at Sunderland
- 5 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 6 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 7 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 8 New Kilburn mural to highlight borough's cultural heritage
- 9 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 10 London among areas where drought is declared
The bouquet will be delivered to Frederique’s home by Prestige Flowers a company that donates 25 per cent of the total order cost of its gifts to Barnardo’s.
For more information about Barnardo’s visit barnardos.org.uk.