Award nomination for the Mayhew Animal Home in Kensal Green
- Credit: Archant
A Kensal Green animal charity has been nominated for an award thanks to its pet threapy scheme that helps elders especially those suffering from dementia.
The Mayhew Animal Home in Trenmar Gardens, hopes to scoop The Daily Mirror’s Animal Hero Awards in recognition of its TheraPaws® programme.
The scheme sees volunteers and their dogs visit hospitals, hospices, care homes and day centres across North and West London to engage with older residents.
Last year there were more then 500 visits.
The scheme encourages social interaction and promotes emotional and physical wellbeing particularly with dementia sufferers.
You may also want to watch:
Luke Berman, TheraPaws project manager, said: “It means so much for TheraPaws to be nominated for the Animal Hero Awards’ Special Recognition Award, especially as The Mayhew celebrates its 130th year this year.
“It’s been a fantastic year so far for The Mayhew, having won the Animal Charity Team of the Year in the 2016 Petplan and Association of Dogs and Cats Homes Animal Charity Awards. We are really excited about being nominated for the Animal Hero Awards and to win would top off a brilliant year for us.”
- 1 QPR 'didn't do enough to win the game' in Peterborough defeat
- 2 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 3 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 4 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 7 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 8 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley