Author Zadie Smith throws support to threatened community centres in Kilburn
- Credit: Archant
An award-winning author from Kilburn has thrown her support towards a community centre and kitchen’s fight for survival.
Zadie Smith will be doing a reading at the Granville Centre in Granville Road, on November 25 from 5pm-9.30pm.
The acclaimed author of White Teeth, who was raised in Kilburn, is making a rare appearance to bring her “Saving the Granville” event in support of the campaign.
Brent Council plans to bulldoze both The Granville and the Carlton Community Centre in Carlton Vale, which includes a nursery, despite the building’s status as an asset of community value.
Brent cabinet members are meeting next Tuesday evening at Brent Civic Centre to discuss proceeding with the plans following a consultation with residents.
You may also want to watch:
The site will be used for new homes as part of the £600million development of the South Kilburn Estate.
Campaigners have launched a petition to save the community centres, which are
- 1 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 2 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 3 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 4 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 5 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 6 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 7 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 8 Tom Dean wins second Tokyo 2020 gold with 4x200m relay victory
- 9 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 10 Letter on Kilburn Square
are heritage sites and have served residents for more than 100 years.
It also home to a popular weekly community kitchen for local families run by Dee Woods, UK Ambassador for Slow Food and BBC Cook of the year 2016.
Zadie Smith, whose White Teeth won the Whitbread First Novel Award, and author of On Beauty, which won the Commonwealth Writers’ Best Book Award, will do a reading which will be followed by a Q&A session.
For more information about the event and to sign the petition click here,