Arrests in brothel crackdown
by Kurt Moroz Two people have been arrested and �50,000 seized at separate addresses in the borough as part of a city-wide crackdown on criminal gangs running brothels. A 70-year-old man and a 43-year-old woman were detained after the
by Kurt Moroz
Two people have been arrested and �50,000 seized at separate addresses in the borough as part of a city-wide crackdown on criminal gangs running brothels.
A 70-year-old man and a 43-year-old woman were detained after the early morning raids carried out in Cricklewood by the Met Police's Clubs and Vice Unit.
The woman in question was previously arrested in June 2008 after she surrendered to police to answer questions about the contents of a safe deposit box opened at a premises on Finchley Road.
You may also want to watch:
She claimed that the contents - �150,000 in cash - had been accrued through incapacity benefits.
Police say the resulting investigation revealed a network of brothels, each working under a hierarchical system with a number of key players running each one.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 4 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 5 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 6 Dykes hurt as QPR topple Hatters to end season on winning note
- 7 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 8 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 9 QPR boss Warburton not worried about Dykes' injury
- 10 Willesden murder investigation: 'Horrified onlookers' watched on as man stabbed in High Road
Other searches of properties across the capital on Tuesday saw a further 10 people detained on suspicion of trafficking, controlling prostitution, money laundering and possession of a stun gun.
Five women have also been rescued during the operation, which is codenamed Sanders and follows on from Operation Rize which targeted safety deposit boxes used by criminals.
Det Chief Supt Richard Martin said: "The experiences of the women forced into prostitution are horrendous. Rescuing these victims and ensuring their safety is our key priority."
The arrests follow a nine-month intelligence led operation into an organised criminal network concerned with the trafficking of women for the purpose of sexual exploitation.
Mayor Boris Johnson said: "I'd like to congratulate the Met Police for such a successful operation - this is exactly the sort of action we want to see to crack down on trafficking and prostitution in London.