Anniversary appeal to find takeaway killers of Queen’s Park man
Innocent electrician was gunned down a year ago
Detectives have released a photo of the intended target of a takeaway shooting which claimed the life of an innocent electrician.
As the first anniversary of the murder of Daniel Smith looms, the investigating officer heading the hunt for his killers has also issued new photos of key witnesses who have yet to come forward.
Mr Smith from Queen’s Park, was gunned down outside KFC in Harrow Road as he walked to his car at 12.15am on May 22 last year.
The former pupil of Newham Catholic College in Harlesden, was an innocent victim of the simmering tensions between youths in South Kilburn and those living in the Mozart Estate in Queen’s Park.
You may also want to watch:
The intended target, who had been in the chicken shop minutes earlier, has a similar build, skin tone and hairstyle of Mr Smith.
He was also wearing the same kind of clothing resulting in the tragic case of mistaken identity.
- 1 Two Brent gang members sentenced for £1.1m fraud involvement
- 2 Three men arrested and gun seized after Neasden car stop
- 3 'Residents have faced a living nightmare as a result of the cladding scandal'
- 4 Cricklewood Library crowdfunder launched to 'get it over the line'
- 5 Man shot multiple times in Dudden Hill remains in stable condition
- 6 Kingsbury teen appears in court charged with Brent Cross fatal stabbing
- 7 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 8 Man rushed to hospital after shooting in Dudden Hill
- 9 A full-time dedicated Euros Policing Team will police Wembley Stadium
- 10 Police 'determined' to find Wembley man who failed to appear at court
Detective Inspector John Crossley from Operation Trident, the Met’s specialist team that tackles gun crime in London, believes the witnesses could hold vital information that will lead them to Mr Smith’s killers.
He said: “I want to emphasise that the people in these photos are not suspects, but potential witnesses.
“If you are not coming forward due to loyalty, this really is misplaced. Daniel was shot from behind, in a cowardly act. This could have been your son, brother, husband or friend. I urge you to look into your conscience.”
In March, Mr Smith’s mother Winnie, paid tribute to her son in an appeal leaflet.
She said: “Why didn’t the people who killed him just aspire to be like Daniel?
“They would then be known as men. My son was amazing. We still feel cheated by the people who are shielding his killers.”
Detectives are offering a �20,000 reward for information leading to the convictions of those responsible for Mr Smith’s murder.
Anyone with information can call the incident room on 0208 733 4212, Det Ch Insp Crossely on 07824 548 341 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Mr Smith’s family will be holding a memorial event outside KFC at 6pm on Sunday to mark the first anniversary of his death.
To see images of the witnesses needed to come forward click on photo gallery link.