Anniversary appeal to find takeaway killers of Queen’s Park man
Innocent electrician was gunned down a year ago
Detectives have released a photo of the intended target of a takeaway shooting which claimed the life of an innocent electrician.
As the first anniversary of the murder of Daniel Smith looms, the investigating officer heading the hunt for his killers has also issued new photos of key witnesses who have yet to come forward.
Mr Smith from Queen’s Park, was gunned down outside KFC in Harrow Road as he walked to his car at 12.15am on May 22 last year.
The former pupil of Newham Catholic College in Harlesden, was an innocent victim of the simmering tensions between youths in South Kilburn and those living in the Mozart Estate in Queen’s Park.
The intended target, who had been in the chicken shop minutes earlier, has a similar build, skin tone and hairstyle of Mr Smith.
He was also wearing the same kind of clothing resulting in the tragic case of mistaken identity.
- 1 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 2 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 3 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 4 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 5 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 6 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 7 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 8 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 9 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Detective Inspector John Crossley from Operation Trident, the Met’s specialist team that tackles gun crime in London, believes the witnesses could hold vital information that will lead them to Mr Smith’s killers.
He said: “I want to emphasise that the people in these photos are not suspects, but potential witnesses.
“If you are not coming forward due to loyalty, this really is misplaced. Daniel was shot from behind, in a cowardly act. This could have been your son, brother, husband or friend. I urge you to look into your conscience.”
In March, Mr Smith’s mother Winnie, paid tribute to her son in an appeal leaflet.
She said: “Why didn’t the people who killed him just aspire to be like Daniel?
“They would then be known as men. My son was amazing. We still feel cheated by the people who are shielding his killers.”
Detectives are offering a �20,000 reward for information leading to the convictions of those responsible for Mr Smith’s murder.
Anyone with information can call the incident room on 0208 733 4212, Det Ch Insp Crossely on 07824 548 341 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Mr Smith’s family will be holding a memorial event outside KFC at 6pm on Sunday to mark the first anniversary of his death.
To see images of the witnesses needed to come forward click on photo gallery link.