Search

Anger over plans to replace historic building in Dollis Hill with a 27-storey tower

PUBLISHED: 18:23 14 November 2016 | UPDATED: 18:33 14 November 2016

The plans to demolish the building and replace it with a 27 storey tower has angered locals (Pic: Google)

The plans to demolish the building and replace it with a 27 storey tower has angered locals (Pic: Google)

Archant

Residents in Dollis Hill are opposing plans for a historic building to be demolished and replaced with a tower of up to 27-storeys.

The building is on Edgware Road in Dollis Hill (Pic: Google)The building is on Edgware Road in Dollis Hill (Pic: Google)

The proposals for the empty building in Edgware Road will see the site converted into a mixed-used development with 150 flats, a banqueting hall and a fitness centre with a swimming pool.

According to a pre-application report which outlines the plans 30 of the new flats will be affordable housing which falls below the borough’s recommendation of 50 per cent.

Critics of the scheme say the building will not fit in with the area and the borough is in need of more social housing rather than luxury apartments.

Alison Hopkins, a campaigner and former Lib Dem councillor for Dollis Hill, told the Times the plans ‘horrified her’.

She added: “The idea of a 27-storey high tower block in a residential area with two storey 1920s houses is totally unacceptable.

“We need real social housing for families, not yet more high rise luxury flats for overseas investors to leave empty.”

During the 1930 and 40s the building, which was known as the Admiralty Chart House, was used to house government and armed service workers away from Whitehall in the event of an attack in central London during World War II.

Ms Hopkins said: “This building played a major part in British wartime.

“We’ve lost too much of our heritage already over the years.

“I’ll fight these proposals and I’ll help Dollis Hill people make sure their voice is heard.”

Angry residents have vented their concerns about the proposals on social networking website Facebook.

One user said: “INSANE idea, the traffic levels at the moment are at full stretch and the roads around here are in a state of disrepair, how do they think they will possibly cope with such an increase in throughput?? Totally against this idea definitely!!!”

And another added: “This sounds dreadful.”

A pre-application report allows the council to advise the developers on what is suitable for the borough before they submit a final proposal for planning permission.

The report was due to be submitted to the council on Wednesday but a spokeswoman for Brent Council told the Times it had been withdrawn by the developers and will be rescheduled for a later date.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times