Aldi opens new supermarket in Kilburn High Road
- Credit: Joel Chant
Store lost controversial bid to sell alcohol from 7am
Shoppers in Kilburn were out bright and early this morning as a new supermarket opened its doors to the public.
Aldi, in Kilburn High Road, was officially opened at 7am and put on a range of food samples for visitors to enjoy.
The store features a number of new features, including an in-store bakery, and a range of fresh, ready-to-go food and drink items.
It will also have longer opening hours of 7am until 10pm between Monday and Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
However, this previously attracted controversy from residents who were concerned at an application from the supermarket to amend their licence in order to sell alcohol from opening time.
Residents claimed the area was home to too many drinking establishments and that it was an unnecessarily early time to serve alcohol.
- 1 Human remains found in Neasden believed to be missing Agnes Akom
- 2 Men jailed after Leon Maxwell gunned down in Queensbury
- 3 Two arrests after man shot and teenager stabbed in Queen's Park
- 4 Appeal for information after man shot in Stonebridge
- 5 'Piercing scream' heard night two sisters killed in Kingsbury park
- 6 Search continues for Agnes Akom after human remains found in Neasden
- 7 Jailed: Dollis Hill man who had submachine gun, over £200k cash and drugs
- 8 Man to appear at Old Bailey charged with murder of missing Agnes Akom
- 9 Mass vaccination event taking place at Bridge Park Community Centre
- 10 Police search Neasden park as part of Agnes Akom murder investigation
The application was rejected by Camden Council last week and the store will instead serve alcohol from 8am.
The store will be open from 7am to 10pm on Monday to Saturday and 10am to 4pm on Sunday.
Tariq Shah, the store manager said he and his team enjoyed welcoming customers into the new store.
He said: “There was a fantastic buzz down at the store this morning; it was great to see so many people down here for our opening event.
“Our team and I were pleased to introduce shoppers to Aldi’s extensive range of products and I look forward to welcoming even more customers to our new store over the coming months.”