Aldi opens new supermarket in Kilburn High Road
- Credit: Joel Chant
Store lost controversial bid to sell alcohol from 7am
Shoppers in Kilburn were out bright and early this morning as a new supermarket opened its doors to the public.
Aldi, in Kilburn High Road, was officially opened at 7am and put on a range of food samples for visitors to enjoy.
The store features a number of new features, including an in-store bakery, and a range of fresh, ready-to-go food and drink items.
It will also have longer opening hours of 7am until 10pm between Monday and Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
However, this previously attracted controversy from residents who were concerned at an application from the supermarket to amend their licence in order to sell alcohol from opening time.
Residents claimed the area was home to too many drinking establishments and that it was an unnecessarily early time to serve alcohol.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 3 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 4 Wembley pensioner, 71, off to university with EuroMillions win
- 5 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 6 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 7 Join the Craic in Cricklewood as four-day music festival returns to London
- 8 Man admits killing Kilburn waiter to end his days 'banged up' court hears
- 9 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 10 Noise abatement notice served against 'silent disco'
The application was rejected by Camden Council last week and the store will instead serve alcohol from 8am.
The store will be open from 7am to 10pm on Monday to Saturday and 10am to 4pm on Sunday.
Tariq Shah, the store manager said he and his team enjoyed welcoming customers into the new store.
He said: “There was a fantastic buzz down at the store this morning; it was great to see so many people down here for our opening event.
“Our team and I were pleased to introduce shoppers to Aldi’s extensive range of products and I look forward to welcoming even more customers to our new store over the coming months.”