Man jailed over baseball bat after Harlesden police crackdown
- Credit: Archant
A police operation to curb violent crime in Harlesden has seen a man jailed for possession of an offensive weapon.
Akeme Simms, 26 of Ellerslie Gardens, NW10, was sentenced to 56 days in jail after pleading guilty to the offence at Willesden Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
Simms had been driving a BMW in Harlesden when police used Section 60 stop and search powers to apprehend him and search the vehicle.
He was found to be carrying a black baseball bat, which he claimed was for his own protection.
Barnet borough commander Det Ch Supt Simon Rose said: “Over the weekend, borough officers supported by the Violent Crime Taskforce undertook a pre-planned operation in Harlesden aimed to disrupt criminality and tackle violent crime.
You may also want to watch:
“Operations like this are taking place across London every day. The message should be very clear, we are out every day and night using lawful tactics such as stop and search to keep London safe.
“Do not carry a weapon, because we will identify you and bring you to justice.”
- 1 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 2 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 3 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 4 Brent Council reignites campaign to tackle paan spitting
- 5 QPR boss Mark Warburton unfazed by prospect of losing Ilias Chair
- 6 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 7 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 8 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 9 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 10 Harlesden community garden wins two London in Bloom awards