A woman and six children escape house fire in Harlesden

Firefighters attended the fire in Crow Road

Firefighters attended the fire in Crow Road - Credit: Archant

A woman and six children had a lucky escape from a house fire in Harlesden believed to be caused by a discarded cigarette.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers dealt with the blaze in Redfern Road at 11.30pm on Tuesday night which damaged part of the first floor and loft.

A smoke alarm was fitted in the two-storey property but fire investigators believe it didn’t work.

The alarm was raised after one of the children smelt the smoke and discovered the fire.

They all managed to escape before the crews from Park Royal, Willesden, Park Royal, Wembley and North Kensington fire stations arrived.

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: “Whether it is a hard wired or a battery one, it is important to make sure your smoke alarm always works. Working smoke alarms are essential, as they provide vital early warning and allow extra time to escape. They can also alert neighbours to the danger of fire. Make sure you test your smoke alarms regularly.”

The said the cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, due to careless disposal of cigarettes.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter