50s football team seek old players for reunion
Brent and District football team still meeting 55 years after forming
A 78-year-old former football player is hoping to track down his old team-mates after digging out a 55-year-old picture from the Kilburn Times.
Leonard Webber, 78, who now lives in Bishop Stortford, has been holding a reunion for old members of Arrowdene FC and Paddington Dene FC, which played in the Brent and District League between 1953 and 1965, for the past 30 years.
But with the lads not getting any younger, the former team captain wants to track down anyone who has lost touch.
Mr Webber said: “We have a reunion in Wembley every June and Christmas. It would be great if some other players recognised themselves and came forward.”
You may also want to watch:
The team was set-up by Mr Webber and friend Jim O’Donnell after completing his national service in Korea.
The team played with some success winning the league without losing a single game and reaching the finals of the Brent and District Cup.
- 1 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 2 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 3 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 4 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 5 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
- 6 Habitual car thief jailed for six months after stealing 11 vehicles
- 7 Election 2021: All the candidates for mayor of London
- 8 QPR will look to wrap up the season strongly at home to Luton Town
- 9 Willesden murder investigation: 'Horrified onlookers' watched on as man stabbed in High Road
- 10 Kilburn councillor resigns from Labour group to become Independent
The matches were reported faithfully each week in the Kilburn Times with memorable results against Bush Radio of 13 – 1, with Mr Webber scoring four, and 26 – 1.
The boys enjoyed the latest get together at the Green Man, in Dagmar Road, Wembley, on February 6, with a dozen still making the trip.
Former members can get in touch with Mr Webber on 07792 231566.