A man has been jailed for manslaughter after a fatal assault on another over a parked car.

Abdelaziz Maaroufi, 26, of Woodside End in Alperton, Wembley, was sentenced to five-and-a-half years' in jail for the manslaughter of Peter Marecheau, after a hearing at Croydon Crown Court yesterday (September 26).

Maaroufi was found guilty of Peter's manslaughter following a trial at Harrow Crown Court on July 12.

Detective Chief Inspector Linda Bradley who led the investigation said: "This sentencing brings to a conclusion a tragic case – Maaroufi has never explained why he decided to involve himself in this incident and why he resorted to this extreme level of violence."

RELATED NEWS: Neasden 'fight': Teenager in hospital after being slashed​

Police were called by the London Ambulance Service at 4.20pm on September 9, 2022, saying they had taken an injured man to hospital from Abbey Industrial Estate in Alperton.

Officers attended the industrial estate and put a crime scene in place.

They also went to the hospital where Peter, 67, was being treated for a life-threatening head injury, but he sadly died there on September 12.

Brent & Kilburn Times: Peter Marecheau sadly died in hospital on Monday September 12 in 2022Peter Marecheau sadly died in hospital on Monday September 12 in 2022 (Image: Met Police)

Detectives found out Peter, known to family and friends as Frankie, worked at an industrial unit on the estate and had parked his car outside a nearby unit where the defendant worked.

The unwritten rule on the estate was that if a car needed to be moved, someone would toot their horn.

However on that day, the owner of the unit sounded his horn three times before Peter emerged from his workshop.

An argument broke out between Peter and the owner of the unit.

Maaroufi took it upon himself to get involved in the argument and pushed Peter four times.

Despite others trying to diffuse the situation and Peter backing away, Maaroufi punched Peter once in the face, causing him to fall backwards onto the floor, which in turn caused a significant head injury.

After Peter’s death, a post mortem examination concluded he had died from a blunt force head injury.

CCTV showed a Maaroufi arguing with Peter before punching him in the face.

Maaroufi was arrested on suspicion of murder on September 12.

He admitted being the person involved, but suggested he was acting in self-defence.

Maaroufi was charged with murder but was convicted of manslaughter following a trial.