A self-styled healer has become the first woman in England to be handed a life sentence on television - after being found guilty of murdering her friend.

Jemma Mitchell was told she will serve at least 34 years in jail for killing 67-year-old Mee Kuen Chong at her Wembley home in June last year.

Two weeks after the murder, she drove more than 200 miles to the seaside town of Salcombe in Devon where she left devout Christian Ms Chong’s decapitated and badly decomposed body in woods.

Brent & Kilburn Times: Video of Judge Richard Marks KC during a live broadcast from the Old BaileyVideo of Judge Richard Marks KC during a live broadcast from the Old Bailey (Image: PA)

The prosecution claimed 38-year-old Mitchell, who lived in Willesden, hatched a plan to murder the vulnerable widow after befriending her through a church group.

When Ms Chong backed out of giving her £200,000 to pay for repairs to her run-down £4 million home, Mitchell killed her and forged a will to inherit the bulk of her estate – worth more than £700,000.

The trained osteopath, who boasted online of her award-winning skill in human dissection, had denied having anything to do with Ms Chong’s death – but declined to give evidence at her trial.

Brent & Kilburn Times: Mitchell seen carrying a suitcase that was used to transport the bodyMitchell seen carrying a suitcase that was used to transport the body (Image: PA)

Mitchell stood impassively in the dock as she was found guilty of murder while Ms Chong’s family in Malaysia watched the verdict via a video link on Thursday.

Today, Judge Richard Marks KC was broadcast handing down his sentence to Mitchell at the Old Bailey.

It is only the second time cameras have been allowed into an English criminal crown court to record a sentencing, and the first in a murder case in which the defendant is a woman.

Brent & Kilburn Times: The blue suitcase usedThe blue suitcase used (Image: PA)

During the trial, jurors viewed CCTV footage of Mitchell arriving at Ms Chong’s home carrying a large blue suitcase on the morning of June 11 last year.

More than four hours later, she emerged from the Wembley property with the suitcase appearing bulkier and heavier.

She also had with her a smaller bag full of Ms Chong’s financial documents, which were later recovered from Mitchell’s home.

After Ms Chong was reported missing, Mitchell claimed she had gone to visit family friends “somewhere close to the ocean” as she was feeling “depressed”.

In reality, Mitchell had decapitated Ms Chong and stored her remains in the garden of the house she shared with her retired mother.

On June 26 last year, she stowed the body inside the suitcase in the boot of a hire car and drove to Devon.

Ms Chong’s headless body was found by holidaymakers beside a woodland footpath near the picturesque town of Salcombe the next day.

Following a police search of the area, Ms Chong’s head was recovered a few metres away from the body.

Following her conviction, Detective Chief Inspector Jim Eastwood, who led the investigation, said: “Mitchell has never accepted responsibility for Deborah’s murder so there are questions which remain unanswered.

“Why she kept her body for a fortnight, why she decapitated her, why she deposited her remains in Salcombe.

“What we do know is that these were evil acts carried out by an evil woman and the only motive clearly was one of financial gain.”