Sign up for workshops as part of 40th anniversary of Grunwick strike in Dollis Hill
- Credit: Andrew Wiard / reportphotos.com
Residents interested in making their own artistic creations to celebrate the biggest strike in Dollis Hill history can now sign up for a series of workshops.
The free official Grunwick 40 art workshops, to celebrate the largest workers’ strike in recent history, will take place on April 3rd, 9th, 13th, 20th and 27th.
Those aged 13 and over wishing to take part have the opportunity to work with artist Anna Ferrie on the giant public mural planned for this summer.
The Grunwick strike in Willesden was an historic dispute which ran from 1976-78. It changed the face of trade unionism and shattered stereotype about Asian women workers who were dubbed “strikers in saris.
Sujata Aurora, of the Grunwick organising group said: “We want to install a mural close to the original site of the Grunwick factory to serve as a permanent public reminder of this important strike, as well as put on some events in autumn 2016 to mark the occasion.
You may also want to watch:
“The mural will be designed by a local artist with input from local people and has been initiated by Brent Trades Council and the Willesden Green Town Team.
She added: “We need to raise £15,000 to pay for the artist and materials and run the community participation workshops. Can you help? Can your organisation or trade union make a donation?”
- 1 Indian food store opens second outlet in Kensal Green
- 2 Raheem Sterling sends good luck message ahead of Wembley Super League
- 3 Immigration status forces Brent homeless back on the streets
- 4 Four further arrests in connection with Sven Badzak stabbing
- 5 New Italian restaurant licence in Kensal Green approved
- 6 Cancer Black Care saved from closure with new funding
- 7 Queen's Park schoolboy loses leukaemia fight
- 8 The Old Bell reopens in Kilburn with a much larger beer garden
- 9 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
- 10 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids