Safety inspectors may investigate the demolition of a historic pub in Kilburn
- Credit: Archant
Safety inspectors are making “initial inquiries” into the shock demolition of a historic pub in Kilburn.
The Health and Safety Executive is considering whether further action is necessary after the Carlton Tavern pub in Carlton Vale, was bulldozed with no prior warning or council consent by the pub’s owners last week.
A spokeman for the HSE said: “We are aware of the Carlton Tavern and we are making initial inquiries into the working practices of the demolition.”
If HSE action is taken, inspectors will examine whether the contractors who carried out the demolition work followed correct safety procedures.
Witnesses who watched two bulldozers reduce the building to rubble last Wednesday said no safety precautions had been put in place, resulting in concern for surrounding buildings.
You may also want to watch:
Residents have voiced disbelief and anger after the 1920’s pub, which was under consideration for Historic England’s Grade-II listed status, was demolished without council permission.
Protestors have expressed their frustration by spray-painting slogans on to the wooden security fencing surrounding the demolition site including: “No right to do this! People before profit!”
- 1 Kingsbury mandir to be 'Europe's first' vaccine centre in Hindu temple
- 2 Mum's 'desperate' fundraiser as 15 families face eviction in Stonebridge
- 3 Gang member jailed for 18 years after hiding guns and drugs in Cricklewood
- 4 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 5 Election candidate 'should be disqualified' for lockdown visit, say opposition
- 6 Maida Vale woman launches petition after kitten bought online dies
- 7 Estate agents volunteer at Wembley Park's Covid vaccine centre
- 8 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 9 Police seek witnesses as Kenton crash victim named as Vimla Matai
- 10 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
Westminster Council had rejected owner CLTX’s earlier application to demolish the building to make way for a pub at ground level and 10 residential units over four floors.
A spokesman for the council confirmed they had been seeking advice on whether further action is legally possible, he added: “The demolition of the Carlton Tavern remains under active investigation and the council is considering all of its options at this stage.”.