Safety inspectors may investigate the demolition of a historic pub in Kilburn
- Credit: Archant
Safety inspectors are making “initial inquiries” into the shock demolition of a historic pub in Kilburn.
The Health and Safety Executive is considering whether further action is necessary after the Carlton Tavern pub in Carlton Vale, was bulldozed with no prior warning or council consent by the pub’s owners last week.
A spokeman for the HSE said: “We are aware of the Carlton Tavern and we are making initial inquiries into the working practices of the demolition.”
If HSE action is taken, inspectors will examine whether the contractors who carried out the demolition work followed correct safety procedures.
Witnesses who watched two bulldozers reduce the building to rubble last Wednesday said no safety precautions had been put in place, resulting in concern for surrounding buildings.
You may also want to watch:
Residents have voiced disbelief and anger after the 1920’s pub, which was under consideration for Historic England’s Grade-II listed status, was demolished without council permission.
Protestors have expressed their frustration by spray-painting slogans on to the wooden security fencing surrounding the demolition site including: “No right to do this! People before profit!”
- 1 Harlesden couple launch mobile musical funerals during Covid
- 2 Prospect House eviction: Families struggle to move out
- 3 Vaccine bus launched in Brent to increase take up
- 4 Olympic Steps to Wembley Stadium unveiled
- 5 Willesden residents say 'no' to new betting shop
- 6 Reward offered after drone stolen in Wembley
- 7 Female-only massage clinic opens in Harlesden
- 8 Mixed feelings for residents and workers as crowds return to Wembley
- 9 Social enterprise boutique gym opening in Queen's Park on May 17
- 10 Brent Council writes off nearly £2m owed in bad debts
Westminster Council had rejected owner CLTX’s earlier application to demolish the building to make way for a pub at ground level and 10 residential units over four floors.
A spokesman for the council confirmed they had been seeking advice on whether further action is legally possible, he added: “The demolition of the Carlton Tavern remains under active investigation and the council is considering all of its options at this stage.”.