Plans for South Kilburn arts workshop revealed
Designers will be allowed to work at the centre for free if they apprentice young people in a trade
A community space is set to be transformed into an arts and industry hub, it has been revealed.
Designers Practice Architecture will transform the former home of the South Kilburn Partnership, in Canterbury Road, into The South Kilburn Studios – a centre containing a large workshop and studios for designers.
Tenants will be allowed to work there for free if they apprentice young people from the area in trades such as fashion, joinery and painting.
Organisers say they hope this will enhance the training and job prospects of youngsters in Kilburn, particularly within the creative industries. A spokesman for the Architecture Foundation, which helped appoint the firm along the South Kilburn Neighbourhood Trust, said: “The project aims to animate and beautify this under-used space, provide skilling opportunities for local young people, and provide rent-free working studio space for promising artists, and designers.”
You may also want to watch:
Andy Donald, director of regeneration at Brent Council, said: “The South Kilburn Studios project is a tremendous opportunity to harness the latent creativity in South Kilburn as part of the wider regeneration process.
“It will connect young people with creative professionals who will provide mentoring, creative apprenticeships and advice. It will help embed creativity into the transformation of South Kilburn for years to come”
- 1 Person injured after 'shooting' in Dudden Hill
- 2 Police 'determined' to find Wembley man who failed to appear at court
- 3 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 4 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 5 Mother of newborn baby found in Willesden canal urged to seek medical help
- 6 Three men charged after police officer injured in traffic stop
- 7 Body of newborn baby found in Grand Union Canal in Willesden
- 8 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 9 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 10 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
From spring until autumn this year, tenants, working alongside visiting professionals, will put on exhibitions and workshops.