Oscar-winning film The Theory of Everything shot scenes in Brent
- Credit: Archant
It maybe thousands of miles away from the glitz and glamour of Hollywood but Brent played a key part in a film which won an award at the Oscars on Sunday.
Several scenes from The Theory of Everything were filmed at the former Brent Town Hall in Forty Lane, Wembley.
The film, based on the memoirs of Jayne Wilde Hawking, tells the story of the relationship between herself and the physicist Stephen Hawking, his diagnosis of motor neuron disease, and his success to become a world-renowned theoretical physicist.
The crew transformed the council chamber into a French hospital operating theatre, and turned the registrars room into hospital rehabilitation rooms overlooking the gardens during the filming in October 2013.
The film was nominated for several Oscars and won in the Best Actor category for Eddie Redmayne.
You may also want to watch:
It also won two Golden Globes and two BAFTAS.
Cllr Muhammed Butt, Leader of Brent Council, said: “We’d like to congratulate the cast and crew of The Theory of Everything for their success at the recent award ceremonies and especially Eddie Redmayne for winning at the Oscars last night.
- 1 Female-only massage clinic opens in Harlesden
- 2 Prospect House eviction: Families struggle to move out
- 3 Brent Council writes off nearly £2m owed in bad debts
- 4 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 5 Olympic Steps to Wembley Stadium unveiled
- 6 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 7 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 8 Neasden foodbank launches £60,000 fundraising appeal
- 9 'His confidence is high': QPR boss Warburton backs Lyndon Dykes
- 10 Kilburn High Road traders see a slow return to business on April 12
Last year the 1930s Grade II listed building was sold to Lycée International which will convert the building into a French independent school.
Lycée International withde Londres Winston Churchill will open its doors to 500-600 students this September.