Mayor of Brent promotes RAF exhibition on black pilots in both World Wars
- Credit: Archant
The mayor of Brent hosted a museum visit to promote an exhibition detailing the roles black pilots played in both World Wars.
Cllr Bobby Thomas and five mayors from Barnet, Croydon, Islington, Kensington and Southwark went to the RAF Museum in Colindale to view the ‘Pilots of the Caribbean’ display.
The exhibition tells the inspirational story of black people from the Caribbean, Africa and from Britain who volunteered to serve in the Royal Air Force during both wars.
It also commemorates their vital contribution to the defence of Britain and the Commonwealth.
Peter Devitt, museum curator, said: “We were delighted to host this visit with the Mayors from several London boroughs and the feedback we received from them was both positive and heart-warming.
You may also want to watch:
“The RAF was the first military service to take on board the issue of diversity and the exhibition, which tells the story of the brave black volunteers over time, has been exceptionally popular with visitors.
“As a result, it has been decided to display ‘Pilots of the Caribbean’ permanently at RAF Museum Cosford”
- 1 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 2 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 3 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 4 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 5 Community vegetable patch in Kilburn under threat
- 6 Brent pupils raise £1,000 to support sickle cell sufferers
- 7 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 8 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 9 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 10 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
The exhibition will be on display until April 22 at RAF Museum London in Grahame
Park Way, Colindale.
For more information visit www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/