Lost war memorial to Cricklewood soldiers unveiled in Remembrance service
Plaque was discovered during church spring clean
A ‘lost’ war memorial which was found during a spring clean has been unveiled during a Remembrance service yesterday.
The plaque which commemorates two 20-year-old men from Cricklewood who died during World War One was originally in the old site of Cricklewood Baptist Church.
However, after the was building was sold to property developers in 1990s the plaque was removed and stored in the church’s new site on Snyed Road - where it was forgotten.
It was uncovered during a spring clean in the summer and 95-year-old Joan Evans, who lost her own father in the First World War, unveiled it during the church service.
The plaque is in memory of Second Lieutenant Albert George Feavearyear, of Anson Road, who was in the London Regiment.
He died while leading his troops into battle near P�ronne, northern France, during the Second Battle of the Somme on 5 September 1918.
- 1 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 2 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 3 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 4 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 5 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 6 QPR ground name to revert to Loftus Road for 2022-23
- 7 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 10 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
The second soldier is Corporal William King of the 7th Royal West Kent Regiment who died in the same campaign near the village of Ronssoy on 18 September 1918.
Corporal King lived in Melrose Avenue.
If anyone has any more information about the two soldiers please contact the church at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the newsdesk on 020 7433 6228.