Historic Carlton Tavern pub in Kilburn must be rebuilt in 18 months
- Credit: Archant
Westminster Council hasve set an unprecedented move by ordering a developer to rebuild a replica of a historic pub in Kilburn that was demolished without permission or warning.
Yesterday evening, at a council meeting the town hall served an enforcement notice to CLTX Ltd giving it 18 months to rebuild the Kilburn Tavern in Carlton Vale, or face the courts.
Cllr Andrew Smith, chairman of the planning actions committee, called the act ‘flagrant vandalism’. He said: “The pub should be rebuilt brick by brick.”
Campaigners were jubilant about the enforcement chanting ‘well done Westminster Council’.
Polly Robertson, from Rebuild the Carlton Tavern, said: “We are going to make sure this is an issue that does not go away.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Robert Davis, deputy leader of Westminster Council, said: “I urged the community to throw the book at them and am glad they have decided to do so. We can’t live in a city where unruly developers can just knock down buildings as and when they please.
“Westminster is home to the West End, not the Wild West.”
- 1 Third stabbing in Neasden as murder investigation under way
- 2 Two arrested in connection with fatal Neasden stabbing
- 3 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 4 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 5 Man dies after stabbing in Brent
- 6 Fourteen fined for lockdown breach after car meet in Park Royal
- 7 Wembley grandmother who survived Covid thanks live-in carer
- 8 Brent councillor calls for improved social distancing in supermarkets
- 9 MP Dawn Butler: Support available to get through lockdown
- 10 Woman dies after she was found collapsed in Barham Park
Should CLTX refuse or appeal the decision, the matter will go to a judicial review or public enquiry.
CLTX, based in Tel Aviv and owned by Ori Calif, applied for planning permission in January to replace the pub with a bar and block of flats, which was rejected by the council.
Bulldozers were called in to demolish the pub with all its contents inside on April 8, shortly before it was due to be given a Grade II listing by Historic England.
CLTX has been fined £2,500 for breaching the terms of the planning controls, an amount set by the government.
Despite the demolition taking place with no previous warning and claims that safeguards were not put in place the Health and Safety Executive has ruled they will not take any action as the building was empty at the time.
However this ruling may be challenged by councillors.
Maida Vale councillors were unanimous in their praise following the ruling.
Cllr Thomas Crockett, Conservative, said: “I’m extremely pleased by this action. We called for the strongest possible action and we’ve got it. This is unprecedented.”
Party colleague Cllr Jan Prendergast added: “There are some hurdles still some hurdles.
“The next thing we expect to have is an enquiry. If it goes to a public appeal, residents will have the chance to speak to that and carry the day again.”
Labour councillor Rita Begum said: “It’s a good outcome. It’s the best news to get the developers to rebuild it brick by brick. I want to make sure it is followed up, 18 months is a long time.”
Jennifer Nadel, Green Party candidate for Westminster North said too many pubs had been lost to developers in the last 10 years.
She said: “All pubs should be listed as community assets so that residents can ensure they are preserved for future generations.”
CLTX is fully expected to appeal the decision. Councillors said the company appealed January’s planning permission refusal two weeks after it had demolished the pub.
CLTX were unavailable for comment.