Grade II tomb inside Kensal Green Cemetery is ‘at risk’
- Credit: Archant
An ornate tomb located in Kensal Green has been listed as a heritage site at risk by Historic England.
The grade II listed Mausoleum of Joseph Hudson, which sits in the Kensal Green Cemetery in Harrow Road, features on a list released this week.
Historic England, formerly known as English Heritage, has compared all sites on the Heritage At Risk Register which includes domestic buildings, protected wrecks, archaeological ruins, industrial sites and places of worships to determine what is the capital’s most at risk heritage.
Joseph Hudson fought in the naval battles of Napoleonic War with France and later became a successful tobacconist with a shop in Oxford Street.
Dating from 1850, the ornate tomb is made of Portland stone.
However plants and saplings are damaging the roof enabling water to get inside.
Rebecca Barrett, heritage at risk principal in London, said: “This year’s Register gives us the most complete picture of the state of London’s heritage to date. We now know that commemorative monuments are the most vulnerable historic places in the capital. Most of these monuments celebrate the lives of individuals and can be found tucked away in our grand Victorian cemeteries.
- 1 Call for investment in 'joke' Harlesden park
- 2 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
- 3 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 4 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 5 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 6 Labour accused of 'power grab' move over committee appointments
- 7 Second man charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 8 Northwick Park NHS Trust still 'requires improvement'
- 9 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
“If these are lost, then part of our city’s story is lost too. Our job is to work closely with cemetery managers, volunteers and funding bodies to help safeguard these precious monuments.”