Demonstration held to mark first anniversary of shock demolition of Maida Vale pub
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners met to mourn their beloved Maida Vale pub a year on from when it was demolished by its owner.
The Friends of the Carlton Tavern (FCT) held a demonstration outside the remains of The Carlton Tavern in Carlton Vale, on Sunday which was reduced to rubble last April by developer CLTX.
They were joined by Rita Begum, Maida Vale Labour councillor, and Karen Buck, Labour MP for Westminster North.
The demonstration was to rally people to prepare for the upcoming public inquiry in May when CLTX will appeal against the ruling that they must rebuild the pub “brick-by-brick”.
Maureen Pepper, treasurer for FCT, said: “We are coordinating the local residents’ point of view showing our communities’ loss and why we want our pub rebuilt. Westminster City Council will put up a strong case for rebuilding and we will support this.”
You may also want to watch:
CLTX, based in Tel Aviv and owned by Ori Calif, applied for planning permission in January 2015 to replace the pre-war pub with a bar and block of flats, which was rejected by the council.
Bulldozers were called in to demolish the pub with all its contents inside on April 8 last year, shortly before it was due to be given a Grade II listing by Historic England.
- 1 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 2 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 3 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 4 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 5 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 6 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 7 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 8 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 9 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 10 Community vegetable patch in Kilburn under threat
CLTX appealed against the failed application weeks afterwards, and then against an enforcement order from Westminster Council to rebuild the pub “brick by brick”.
Cllr Begum said: “It was really sad. We met to mark the end of the Carlton a year on and how dreadful that was. Time has gone on really quickly and we look forward now to the public inquiry coming up hoping that it all goes well.”
The public inquiry starts on May 17 at 10 am and will run for approximately eight days. It will be held at Westminster City Hall.
For more information about the campaign visit friendsofcarltontavern.wordpress.com.