Demolished Kilburn pub is made an asset of community value meaning its owners could claim compensation
- Credit: Archant
The site where a much loved Kilburn pub was demolished by its owner has been listed as an asset of community value.
However the owners could try and claim compensation from Westminster Council for doing so.
The former Carlton Tavern, in Carlton Vale, has been given the status by the council following a nomination by the Carlton Vale Phoenix Association Community Organisation (CVPACO).
But under the Assets of Community Value (England) regulations 2012, developers CLTX are entitled to claim compensation for the ‘loss or expense’ incurred due to the listing status.
The popular pub was reduced to rubble by CLTX last April after planning permission to build residential flats was refused by Westminster Council.
You may also want to watch:
CLTX appealed the refusal shortly afterwards.
It has also appealed an enforcement notice by Westminster Council to rebuild the pub “brick by brick” which will be heard by public inquiry in May.
- 1 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 2 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 3 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 4 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 5 Community vegetable patch in Kilburn under threat
- 6 Brent pupils raise £1,000 to support sickle cell sufferers
- 7 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 8 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 9 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
CVPACO’s nomination was at first rejected by the council and finally accepted last December which CLTX has also objected to.
This week the council agreed with the nomination.
Maureen Pepper, of the Rebuild the Carlton Tavern campaign, said: “We are delighted as this means if the land or the rebuilt pub is ever offered for sale, the community will have six months to try to raise the money to buy it.”
CLTX has 91 days to put in a compensation claim.
A Westminster Council spokesman said: “The Carlton Tavern land has now been listed as an Asset of Community Value. This means that the owner of the asset has to notify the Council if they wish to dispose of the freehold/leasehold interest in Land. This will then give any community group period of six weeks to decide if they want to bid for the Land or lease.”