Council gearing up to “throw the book” at owners after pub demolition
- Credit: Archant
Councillors have warned they are ready to “throw the book” at owners who demolished a much-loved pub in Kilburn without prior warning or planning permission.
Residents in Kilburn reacted with shock when company CLTX bulldozed the Carlton Tavern in Carlton Vale on April 8 despite the council rejecting their application to knock it down to make way for a new pub and first-floor flats.
Deputy Leader of Westminster Council Robert Davis said: “We want to throw the book at them.”
A spokesman also confirmed that the Council was taking advice on their legal position in this “unprecedented” case and expects to confirm a chosen course of action within two to three weeks.
The demolition, which was carried out by Golders Green based firm S&S quality building contractors, took place after owners CLTX told landlady Patsy Lord they were temporarily closing the pub for an “inventory”.
You may also want to watch:
Inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive said they were making “inital inquiries” into whether correct safety guidelines were followed.
The Brent & Kilburn Times contacted S&S building contractors but they declined to comment.
- 1 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 2 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 3 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 4 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 5 More images released after 'violence and disorder' at Euro 2020 final at Wembley
- 6 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 7 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 8 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 9 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 10 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
Equipment hire company Lynch, who loaned two bulldozers to S&S to carry out the demolition issued a statement saying: “The machinery used on the site was operated by S&S Quality Building Contractors Ltd, who had responsibility for health and safety on the Carlton Tavern site.”
“Upon learning on 8 April that the work being carried out was potentially unauthorised, we immediately removed our equipment from the site, and are urgently seeking assurances from S&S Quality Building Contractors Ltd.”