Wealdstone survive sending off to claim draw with Concord Rangers

PUBLISHED: 21:45 20 March 2017 | UPDATED: 10:04 21 March 2017

Wealdstone's Aryan Tajbakhsh is shown a red card against Concord Rangers. Picture: ALAN PALMER

Wealdstone's Aryan Tajbakhsh is shown a red card against Concord Rangers. Picture: ALAN PALMER


Ten-man Wealdstone rescued a point to keep their undefeated record alive with a 1-1 home draw with Concord Rangers.

Aryan Tajbakhsh was the man given an early bath on 63 minutes for an elbow when going up for a header.

Within five minutes Taylor Miles had fired Concord ahead although whether he meant it, is open to debate.

His effort from way out on the left arced over everyone and in off the far post.

But a good goal needs a great goal to cancel it out and Matty Whichelow provided it.

Eddie Oshodi did well to keep the move alive but when the ball found the substitute, he was still 25 yards from goal.

That didn’t matter as he lashed it home.

The game finished with a frenzy of attacks, mostly from the hosts, but the spoils were shared.

Wealdstone looked anything like a side looking to make it 10 league games without defeat in the first 45 minutes. Too often they were guilty of giving the ball away cheaply and that allowed Concord to boss the majority of the half.

But they only forced Jonathan North into one real save, batting down a Lyle Delle-Verde effort following a quick counter.

And strangely it was the hosts who had the best chance of the half.

Ryan Sellers launched it long for Joe White to chase and he got there first but Bailey Vose made a good block and then held on to Ricky Wellard’s follow-up.

Most of the half was noticeable for the refreshing change of seeing a referee let a lot of things go.

He still had to book a couple from Rangers with Jordan Chiedozie going in at half-time on a final warning.

The second half saw more from the visitors go into the book as the game threatened to boil over.

Tajbakhsh’s red though caught some people by surprise but Concord’s goal was a kick in the teeth.

However, Wealdstone rallied and Whichelow’s stunner brought parity.

Wealdstone: North, Oshodi, Sellers, Parker, Hamblin, Godfrey (Benyon 74), Green (Whichelow 69), Cox, Joe White (Wright 87), Wellard, Tajbakhsh

Subs (not used): Mavila, Brown

Goals: Whichelow 83

Concord: Vose, Laucys, Wyatt, Collins, McKenzie, Miles (Nasha 75), Sembie-Ferris (Topley 90+1), James White, Chiedozie (Stokes 67), Cawley, Delle-Verde

Subs (not used): Girdlestone, King

Goals: Miles 68

HT: Wealdstone 0 Concord Rangers 0

Attendance: 646

Referee: Mathew Buonassisi


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Kilburn Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Kilburn Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Kilburn Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Kilburn & Brent Sports News

Yesterday, 16:40

Under-nines earn fine win at tournament

Yesterday, 06:00

A second-half Joe White penalty was the vital goal in a niggly encounter at Twerton Park as Wealdstone disposed of fellow play-off chasers Bath City with a 2-1 win.

Mon, 15:30

Harrow Borough and Staines Town cancelled each other out in another stalemate – as they served up a second 0-0 draw in the space of five days.

Mon, 10:03

A two-try blast from Martin Catterall helped Kilburn Cosmos blow Cheshunt away at a windswept Gladstone Park.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Hackney Rugby Club have won the London North West Three title – despite having their home game with Staines bring ruled as a walkover.

Friday, March 24, 2017

A school in Harlesden has won the right to represent Chelsea at the nationwide Premier League Schools Tournament.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Brent’s Wichtor Wachala blasted Middlesex U16s into the semi final of the South East England Schools Cup semi-final with a 2-1 win over Kent.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Wealdstone have moved to bolster their striking options with the signing of Dan Fitchett from Sutton United.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read Kilburn sport


Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Brent & Kilburn Times
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now