QPR face £60m fine if promoted to Premier League

12:54 17 November 2013

Christopher Samba, one of Queens Park Rangers

Christopher Samba, one of Queens Park Rangers's expensive signings last season. Photo by Scott Heavey/Getty Images

2013 Getty Images

QPR are facing a possible £60million fine from the Football League, according to a newspaper report.

The Mail on Sunday claims the west London club made a loss of £80million during the 2012-13 Premier League season, which ended in relegation to the Championship, after signing dozens of players on expensive contracts.

Christopher Samba, Park Ji-sung, Julio Cesar, Jermaine Jenas and Loic Remy - who apart from Samba all remain on QPR’s payroll - are among the players who have reportedly earned salaries of over £100,000 per week in recent seasons.

The Football League’s new Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules will see overspending clubs taxed for their losses, with Championship clubs paying a £1 fine for every £1 they lose over £18million in the 2013-14 financial year.

QPR can expect to receive a sizeable fine in January 2015 should they be promoted to the top flight at the end of the current season. The club could, however, temporarily avoid a fine if they fail to win promotion.

Quoted in the Mail on Sunday, a Football League spokesman said: “This is the first season in which clubs will ultimately face sanctions [for overspending].

“Clubs have to submit their accounts for 2013-14 to us by December 1, 2014, with sanctions levied early in 2015. If a club being sanctioned are in the Premier League by then, the fine will need to be paid.”

QPR’s accounts for 2012-13 have not yet been made public and the club were unavailable for comment when contacted on Sunday morning by Press Association Sport.

Harry Redknapp’s side are currently third in the Championship table and tied on points with Leicester for the second automatic promotion place after 15 games.

QPR’s majority shareholder and chairman Tony Fernandes later took to Twitter to claim the report was “not accurate”.

Through his official account he wrote: “QPR fans please ignore Article.

“Shows how big our brand has become that people need to write stories that are just not accurate.

“Stay focused on getting back to the premier league.”


Latest Sport Stories

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas celebrates after scoring QPR's winner against Bolton in injury time

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was on target twice, including a stunning injury-time winner, as QPR got the better of Bolton in a seven-goal thriller on Saturday.

Friday, October 2, 2015
Clint Hill (left) has made just three appearances for QPR so far this season

QPR are stuck in a rut. With no win in four games, as well as Charlie Austin and Jamie Mackie being sidelined through injury for up to four months combined, these are worrying times at Loftus Road.

Friday, October 2, 2015
Middlesex's James Harris celebrates a wicket in their win over Yorkshire

Middlesex’s season may have ended with a crushing defeat – but that should not mask a year of tangible progress in the County Championship.

Thursday, October 1, 2015
Paul Konchesky is enjoying working under Chris Ramsey

EXCLUSIVE: Paul Konchesky says he sees similarities in Chris Ramsey’s managerial style and his former Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson.

Most read sport


You could be splashing the cash at Topshop!

Just imagine what you could do with £1,000 to spend at Topshop.

You won't need to fork out for groceries for a while!

Asda, one of the country’s leading supermarkets, prides itself in being one of the cheapest places to shop, so you can be sure that your money will go a long way here!

Digital Edition

Read the Brent & Kilburn Times e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder