Hendon pass Harrow test to raise survival hopes

PUBLISHED: 08:48 18 April 2017 | UPDATED: 08:48 18 April 2017

Kezie Ibe leads the thanks to the travelling Hendon fans at Harrow (pic DBeech Photography)

Kezie Ibe leads the thanks to the travelling Hendon fans at Harrow (pic DBeech Photography)


Harrow Borough 0 Hendon 2

Hendon's Marcel Barrington gets up for a header at Harrow (pic DBeech Photography)Hendon's Marcel Barrington gets up for a header at Harrow (pic DBeech Photography)

Hendon inched closer to Ryman Premier Division safety with a rather comfortable 2–0 victory over Harrow Borough at Earlsmead.

But they are not there yet and, two points clear of the bottom four, must defeat Staines Town on Saturday to be sure, although a draw might be sufficient.

There were three changes to the Greens starting line-up from their win over Met Police (and four to the bench), as Casey Maclaren, Luke Tingey and Marcel Barrington took over from James Harper, Keagan Cole and Reis Stanislaus, respectively.

The trio were all named on the bench, alongside the eventually unused Geo Craig and Daniel Rumens, as Dave Diedhiou and Elliott Charles were left out of the 16.

Josh Mcleod-Urquhart goes up for a header against Harrow (pic DBeech)Josh Mcleod-Urquhart goes up for a header against Harrow (pic DBeech)

But it was not a great game to watch as the tension of the situation seemed to weigh too heavily on the teams.

Marc Charles-Smith rather summed up the desperation in the 10th minute when instead of turning and shooting, he tried a spectacular overhead scissors kick which sent the ball some yards wide.

Over the course of the 90 minutes, apart from a few punches and one scramble late on, keeper Tom Lovelock was limited to two very comfortable saves.

In the first half, Michael Bryan’s low shot was easily gathered and, after the break, a 20-yarder was aimed straight at his midriff.

Gary Mccann gives instructions to Khale da Costa (pic DBeech Photography)Gary Mccann gives instructions to Khale da Costa (pic DBeech Photography)

Hendon were hardly more dangerous, but Kezie Ibe and Barrington were more of a handful for Michael Peacock and Steve Brown than Charles-Smith and Lewis Driver were for Josh McLeod-Urquhart and Arthur Lee.

All four full-backs coped well, as Sam Murphy limited Bryan and James Hammond nullified Joshua Webb. At the other end, Khale Da Costa could not get the better of Andy Lomas.

Hendon’s midfield was more compact than Borough’s and Maclaren and Tingey broke up Harrow’s play with great effectiveness.

The wild card was the skill and passing ability of Matt Ball and his experience proved pivotal for the opening goal.

Matt Ball celebrates in front of Hendon FC Trust chairman Simon Lawrence (pic DBeech Photography)Matt Ball celebrates in front of Hendon FC Trust chairman Simon Lawrence (pic DBeech Photography)

In the 27th minute, Murphy and Barrington linked well down the left wing and Murphy crossed the ball into Ibe. The Greens’ skipper controlled the ball and rolled it into the path of Ball, whose shot took a deflection and spun just inside the post with Brendan Hazlett unable to reach it.

After the goal, Hendon began to exert to control and Harrow conceded a number of corners, but they came to nothing.

The one time Maclaren was able to get clear of his marker, he directed a powerful header straight at Hazlett, who held onto the ball with Ibe sniffing for a rebound.

It took barely 90 seconds of the second half for Hendon to double their lead as Barrington tussled with a ball for George Nicholas and the Harrow midfielder ended up on the ground.

There were no complaints that a free-kick was not awarded and Barrington proceeded to beat both Peacock and Lewis Ochoa, before his pass to Ball opened up the Harrow defence and he saw Da Costa in space with Lomas for once not close to him.

Ball’s clever pass was perfectly weighted and Da Costa was left with only Hazlett to beat, lifting the ball over the advancing keeper and past the despairing lunge of Brown.

Harrow sent Harry Newman on for Nicholas, a move Hendon countered with James Harper taking over from Maclaren and the midfielder playing his first competitive match for two months did not look like he had been away.

With 11 minutes left, the home side threw Lhereux Menga and Kurtis Cumberbatch on to replace Driver and Webb.

Menga had scored for former club Grays against Hendon at Silver Jubilee Park and been sent off in the return at Mill Field.

But although Harrow did ramp up the pressure, Lee and McLeod-Urquhart were utterly dominant in Hendon’s defence.

Five minutes later, Ball made way for Cole and Stanislaus came on for Barrington and the two substitutes were quick to make an impression.

Almost immediately, Stanislaus attacked down the right, cut inside Ochoa and laid a diagonal pass into the path of Cole, but the 17-year-old saw his shot blocked by Peacock.

Four minutes of stoppage time saw further Harrow pressure, but the Hendon defence remained resiliently stubborn and the final whistle brought enormous cheers from the large band of travelling supporters.

Hendon: Lovelock, Hammond, Lee, Murphy, McLeod-Urquhart, Tingey, C Maclaren (Harper 69), Ball (Cole 84), Ibe, Barrington (Stanislaus 84), K Da Costa. Unused subs: Craig, Rumens.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Kilburn Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Kilburn Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Kilburn Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Kilburn & Brent Sports News


England’s women booked their place in the semi-finals of the EuroHockey Championships with victory over Scotland in Amsterdam.


Thompson and Levine were guests of honour at high-class event

Yesterday, 21:51

Gordon Bartlett has agreed to take on a new role at Wealdstone Football Club.

Yesterday, 18:45

England’s men were edged out by Germany in a seven-goal thriller during their EuroHockey Championships pool B clash in Amsterdam.

Yesterday, 17:30

Hornsey defeated Harrow St Marys in a close contest, but there was mixed fortunes for Wembley, South Hampstead and Harrow Town

Yesterday, 15:00

Latest news from local cricket scene with Brondesbury suffering a loss, but Shepherds Bush edging a thriller

Yesterday, 13:35

The draw for the first qualifying round of the FA Cup has been made

Yesterday, 10:00

QPR forward struck stoppage-time winner to tame Tigers

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read Kilburn sport

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Brent & Kilburn Times
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now