Chelmsford City 1 Wealdstone 2: Abobaker Eisa strike guides Stones past Clarets in FA Trophy

PUBLISHED: 08:30 30 November 2017 | UPDATED: 10:01 30 November 2017

Abobaker Eisa netted the winner for Wealdstone at Chelmsford City in the FA Trophy (pic: Wealdstone FC)

Abobaker Eisa netted the winner for Wealdstone at Chelmsford City in the FA Trophy (pic: Wealdstone FC)


FA Trophy third qualifying round replay: Chelmsford City 1 (West 24) Wealdstone 2 (Green 31p, Eisa 54)

Wealdstone secured one of their best results of their season so far on Wednesday evening with another resilient and battling performance, taking them through to the First Round Proper of the Buildbase FA Trophy, with the reward of a home tie at The Vale on 16th December versus Wingate & Finchley of the Bostick Premier league.

In yet another déjà vu like scenario the opposition dramatically had a man sent off, but this time Stones expertly fought their way to a deserved victory in a typically tough encounter against one of the best and cleverest game managing sides in the National League South.

Wealdstone found themselves a goal down early on but came roaring back with a Danny Green penalty and then Abo Eisa ensured a passage to the next round finding the net in the second period with his 10th of the season.

In the freezing cold of the open conditions of the Melbourne Stadium, it was the home side that started the brightest with an early strike being charged down by the Stones defence, now featuring a flu free fit Matty Day. But the away side were quick to counter with Ciaron Brown heading just over when placed clear in the area.

Eisa was starting to get into his stride and when he broke clear with a great run on 13 mins he could hit the side netting before Day met a good header on target that was gathered by the towering Sam Beasant.

Mustafa Tiryaki bullied and battered his way through the equally tough City back line but continued to show some deft touches, not least when he tried an audacious lob from distance that fell wide of the mark.

But against the run of play, Chelmsford grabbed the lead. From a free run down their right flank the ball was whipped in and cleverly flicked past an exposed Jon North by Michael West on 24 minutes.

Craig Barrett was then booked for simulation in Stones area soon after and this was to prove fatal for the defender as he became the villain of the piece moments later.

After Tiryaki’s strike was pushed away by Beasant, Stones hit back with the equaliser. A goal bound strike was clearly handled on the line by Barrett and he was shown a second yellow and off he went.

The resultant penalty was tucked away with confidence by Danny Green

Controversy immediately followed as City’s players crowded the now beleaguered Referee, Mr Fissenden, when Sam Cox, already the subject of a sending off in Saturday’s prequel, made a robust challenge, felling a forward, but was given a yellow – not the red the City boys were screaming for.

Matters further heated up 5 minutes before the break when Jerome Okimo was similarly cut down and another yellow resulted, when, on another day, a red may have been brandished.

The half ended with a great chance for Taofiq Olomowewe but the young defender shot wide when well placed.

Stones were under the cosh for the first quarter of the second period as the home side piled on the pressure with some strong build up play and at one point had three successive corners that were all well defended.

But the away sides counter attacking strengths again came to fore on 57 minutes. Big Tiryaki expertly knocked the ball down in the area from a Brown cross and the lurking Eisa blasted the ball past Beasant.

City hit back soon after and North had to be constantly alert making several good interceptions. Saturday’s scorer Shaun Batt was introduced but as the clocked gradually ticked down the home side appeared to run out of ideas and momentum; Stones were able to close out the game utilising Harry Goodger’s game management techniques to good effect in the closing minutes. He replaced Tiryaki who hobbled off with a hamstring.

Latest Kilburn & Brent Stories

Yesterday, 19:40

Durham have made the perfect start to Paul Collingwood’s final match, producing a strong performance to lead Middlesex by 106 runs on day one of their Specsavers County Championship Division Two clash at Emirates Riverside.

Yesterday, 16:00

Herts/Middlesex One: Saracens Amateurs 19 Hendon 15

Yesterday, 13:37

The draw for the third qualifying round of the FA Cup has been made

Yesterday, 17:42

Brent Central’s MP has defended a controversial speech she made at the Labour Party conference where she said it’s “better to break the law than break the poor” when facing government cuts.

Yesterday, 15:55

Coppers brought along their classic Morris Minor police car to show off at a community party in Willesden.

Yesterday, 10:00

Queens Park Rangers manager Steve McClaren feels his side didn’t deserve to lose 1-0 to Norwich City at Loftus Road on Saturday, writes Jacob Ranson.

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Letters, contributions and comments sent in from Times’ readers this week.

Saturday, September 22, 2018

Queens Park Rangers had their five-game unbeaten run brought to a halt after falling to a narrow 1-0 defeat to Norwich City in their Championship clash.


A new community centre, The Yellow, opens in Wembley Park in the heart of the Brent community. From October 1, the hub will offer a selection of arts and fitness classes, many of which will be free.

The Granville has begun taking bookings for workspaces and events ahead of its opening this spring.

Brent Clinical Commissioning Group has announced changes to the community’s cardiology service.

Newsletter Sign Up

Kilburn Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read Kilburn sport

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Brent & Kilburn Times
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now