Boxing: George Groves warns Chris Eubank Jr. against repeating his own mistakes
PUBLISHED: 16:00 13 February 2018
PA Wire/PA Images
Former Dale Youth amateur defends WBA super middleweight title against British rival in Manchester on Saturday
George Groves has warned Chris Eubank Jr. that a lack of professionalism is setting him up for failure and says he sees his rival repeating so many of his own mistakes.
The WBA super middleweight champion, 29, defends his title against Eubank Jr. in their World Boxing Super Series semi-final at the Manchester Arena on Saturday.
Their match-up represents the former Dale Youth man’s highest-profile bout since the two losses to Carl Froch, but it is lessons learnt since then that have inspired his world title and which he believes his challenger is lacking.
The 28-year-old Eubank Jr. makes little secret of the fact he does not work with a traditional trainer or training setup and, similarly to Groves before he fought Froch, has regularly promoted himself on social media.
Since this weekend’s fight was confirmed, the champion has maintained a significantly lower profile and said of Eubank Jr: “He is that ignorant he thinks he can do it himself. ‘The cornermen give me water: I do the rest, I train myself, I know what I’m doing’.
“It doesn’t work — the greatest fighters in the world have a great team or trainer around them just to nudge them in the right direction.
“The dad is supposed to be that, but it’s the blind leading the blind. He doesn’t know what he’s doing, especially the dad. He’s lost his grip on reality.
“I thought he might take himself off to Vegas and do a camp out there, work with some sort of decent trainer, you’d definitely be getting good sparring. But he hasn’t: he’s decided to come back home, train himself, spar anyone he can get hold of.
“He’s got success through putting out videos, and attaching himself to big names and not having a real fight. The difference here is he’s in a real fight.”
Saturday’s fight will be broadcast live on ITV Box Office.
*Shepherds Bush-based John O’Donnell has had to pull out of his scheduled bout with Tamuka Mucha at York Hall on Friday.
The welterweight had been due to finally defend his English title against Mucha, with the bout already having been previously postponed.
O’Donnell has been stripped of his title after withdrawing, with Mucha now fighting Freddy Kiwitt for the English belt.